Orange fan sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys is there any specific place in the tank to place my new orange fan sponge ?.

They're filter feeders with little symbiotic algae, so lighting isnt important but flow is. Having kept them before, they need to be fed, never, ever exposed to air and placed in an area of good but not direct flow. In most aquariums that have coral, the water is too clean for them and they starve within a few months. They thrive better in a sump frankly. They will have to be fed occasionally, but if you work at it they can live forever.

Last edited:
Thanks, we got ours today also saw him in the display tank at lfs an got him straight away, we've put him on the sand bed instead of on lr so he's not in direct flow. We also got ourselves an feather duster and a sea hand pulsing xenea frag.

Let's see some pics! I saw on reefs2go it is included in a bunch of packs I was interested in getting it. Let me know how it turns out! What size tank do you have?

I want one so bad. I have heard they are hard to keep.

They are a filter feeder...so if you can keep stuff like sea fans and sun corals alive, this won't be any big deal. But many or maybe most of them starve. But knowing this going in, you can be prepared to feed them occasionaly.

Sounds like you are ready. I hope I can be there some day. Sea fans are awesome too.

Not quite sure how to upload load pictures just yet, you might be able to see it on my profile pic. My tank is juwel trigon 190 around 50 glns I think.

Back
Top Bottom