Orange Shoulder Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on the orange shoulder tang?

tang-orange-shoulder.jpg

I know what liveaquaria says, but do any of you have any first or second hand experience with them?

125+ gallon
Peaceful
Reefsafe

PS. This would be for a future, BIGGER tank.

Hello,

I currently have one in a 75gal set up. I have had it about 7 months and it is doing great. When I bought it it was all yellow with the dull orange bar and is not starting to mature to include color change a development of lyre tail. Beautiful colors starting to come out. currently about 8"+.

Based on what I have read 75g might be a bit small, but seems to have plenty of swimming room and has been one of my healthiest fish. Good excuse to upgrade to a larger set up in the future as well.

Anything in particular you want to know?

Great info!

What is the main food that it's diet consist of?

If you had it to do all over would you get the tang again?

I would definitely get one again. Ideally in a bigger set up, but like I said so far it is doing well and I have not seen any negative effects of the 75gal. The Orange shoulder is a very peaceful species and I have never observed mine picking on other fish. It is rarely picked on as it is the largest fish in my set-up. knowing what I know now I would not put one in anything smaller than a 75Gal, bit I am not positive you need a 125 like live aquaria says either.

As for food I mix it up a bit. Green life line is the staple for all my fish. I do feed some Mysis shrimp, krill, flake and pellet along with dried seaweed/nori on a veggie clip. The tang readily accepts all thes foods especially the seaweed which it actively feeds at.

Not sure what you would do in a reef set-up as mine is FOWLR and some inverts. Everything I have read says they are reef safe. Other than picking at some algae mine does not bother anything else.

Hope this helps,

Hey Rev...I love the orange shouler tang! I go to the Minnesota Zoo often to look at the various aquariums. They have several orange shoulders in a huge aquarium. Let me tell you, these things get huge. The ones there are well over a a foot long. Beautiful fish, needs a large home...Lando

That is one of my favorite fish as well. I will check my Fenner book as it touched on this specific Tang and report back.

Mike

Here you go revhtree - Marine Depot has this for $29.00. nice price, but I don't have the tank to put him in. :cry:

Orange Shoulder Tang - Acanthurus olivaceus

The Acanthurus olivaceus grows up to 14 inches. The Orange Shoulder Tang prefers a tank of at least 140 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Acanthurus olivaceus is an herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats. The Orange Shoulder Tang is a medium maintenance fish and may act peacefully toward other fish, but may not be a good candidate to mix with other Acanthurus type species. Reef-safe. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Orange Shoulder Tang is commonly collected from Fiji, Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom