Orange shoulder tang begging for a cleaning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swicicki

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a juvenile (yellow) orange shoulder tang who is trying to force anything striped to clean him.

He chases the zebra hermits and rubs up against them. ( they snap at him). He rubs up against the banghi cardinal so that it totally avoids him now. He is now spending all his free time with the coral banded shrimp who also snaps at him :) I'm going to buy him a cleaner

If it's rubbing like that, IME it could be a sight of ich so keep an eye out

I've been watching for the white stuff...so far clean. He has been in my tank for 2 weeks.

He is not flashing or rubbing on things. Just harassing the livestock

I find it interesting that he relates striped things with cleaning

Ok I'm kinda in shock.

I went to lfs to get neon goby. Came back and tang is stuck on maxjet circulation pump.

I unplug the pump and poor little guy falls away. I'm sure it's dead but I can't find him anywhere.

2 hours later he is swimming around like nothing happened! Eating and grazing. Harassing the cardinal and ignoring the neon goby

Eventually the cardinal is going to have to learn how to clean the tang

I hate to break the news but something is wrong with your tang. A healthy tang shouldn't be getting stuck on a powerhead.

I hate to break the news but something is wrong with your tang. A healthy tang shouldn't be getting stuck on a powerhead.

It's not unheard of for fish to be lazy and just let the suction from powerheads hold them. Mostly happens with bettas but other fish do it too. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in this case... This particular tang seems kind of.... special.

Not exactly breaking news that fish shouldn't be stuck to power heads

It is a small tang at 2" and it is a pretty big power head max jet 1200 that said...I am generally unhappy to see a fish stuck in any of the mechanical systems.

The tang is with me for 2 weeks so far and has been eating brine and possibly ocean nutrition. He has not been too interested in the green or brown sea veggies. So I am concerned that he is getting enough vegetables. He grazes constantly on algae but I cannot tell if he is getting enough.

Neither he or the other fish which have all been with me for more than a year have any white or black spots.

After the power head incident he does have a couple "bruises" that concern me.

Not sure what else I should be doing . It's a 125 gallon established tank that is clean and stable

Not exactly breaking news that fish shouldn't be stuck to power heads

It is a small tang at 2" and it is a pretty big power head max jet 1200 that said...I am generally unhappy to see a fish stuck in any of the mechanical systems.

The tang is with me for 2 weeks so far and has been eating brine and possibly ocean nutrition. He has not been too interested in the green or brown sea veggies. So I am concerned that he is getting enough vegetables. He grazes constantly on algae but I cannot tell if he is getting enough.

Neither he or the other fish which have all been with me for more than a year have any white or black spots.

After the power head incident he does have a couple "bruises" that concern me.

Not sure what else I should be doing . It's a 125 gallon established tank that is clean and stable

Are you certain that he was in fact stuck to the power head? Or just laying against it? My snowflake blenny habitually lays against the powerhead looking like he's stuck it it but in fact is just laying there. It freaked me out the first couple times I saw it.

He needs new power heads there sucking backwards I had that to happen when they get old they do that ya know

I had no luck with green or brown seaweed for my tang or blenny either. Switched to nori sheets and they quickly took to it.

Back
Top Bottom