orange starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
will this starfish eat my infana and bugs? is it a sand sifting star? i can't get the photo here so look at my photo gallery.walt

146orange_starfish_4-19-03-med.JPG

Edit ~ added pic to post -- ReefLady

I'm not sure if it's an Orange Linckia star, or a Fromia sp. (my guess would be the Fromia), but neither star is a sand "sifting' starfish. Both are reef safe, and neither will deplete your infauna/bug population.

Nice color!

thank you. your reef is beautiful. and that stand,love it. how do you get rid of the heat in the hood?

Thanks, troutman. Appreciate your kind words.

The hood has 2 IceCap variable temp fans, both blowing in. The heat though, is controlled mostly by the fact that the sump, 'fuge, & frag tank (about 150g of water) are all in the basement, which stays at around 75F in the summer. On hot/humid days, the AC in the livingroom is about 10' away from the tank. :)

does the hood have any vents besides the fans? i want to put one on my 75. but the heat scares me.2x250mh 2x55wattpc . every hood i look at does not show or tell about vents besides the twin fans. i have my chiller set to 78,will that do? also thanks for posting my photo.walt :D

Walt, the hood is vented, yes - the front of the hood actually over-hangs the tank by about an inch. Not noticeable unless you look 'up and under' the front of the hood. This provides good airflow (IMO).

If your chiller maintains your tank temp at 78F, that should be fine. Our summer temps run - 81F - 83F. Of course, you still want fans/air circulation in your hood in order to prevent a "flash point" from the MH heat. Fans should fine. Venting doesn't need to be anything fancy - a simple place where the air can be drawn in or pushed out. We've also considered drilling small holes above the reflectors (the light would not escape here), but haven't found the need.

HTH,

thanks. i put up some cardboard in front and back. painted outside black inside white.temp of course.what a change. left the sides open.walt

Back
Top Bottom