Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Orangeshoulder Tang....

I recently bought a Orangeshoulder tang for 15 dollars at the LFS because he was looking pretty bad and got a good deal. I have tried giving him dried seawead (green) and he dont seem to even look at it. He has been grazing off the rocks like crazy though what other kinds of food can you feed them and how do you prepare it. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
My guess is he is looking pretty bad because he hadnt been eating. I would be offering nori, brine or mysis shrimp soaked in a vitamin solution such as selcon.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he won't eat nori off the clip try pinning it under a rock for him. If he was WC he may feel better about picking on the rocks than eating off of the clip. Try floating a little bit of it in the water column and see if he takes that. Make sure to soak the food in garlic and selcon. The garlic should entice him to eat.

Hope he comes around for you!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hes already beginning to look alot better! I have been already adding garlic to his food and dont seem to matter to him. What kind of garlic can you use i have been using garlic extreme but the stuff is expensive....are you able to use garlic juice that you would buy from a grocery store....or anything else avaiable thats cheaper?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I make my own garlic oil...crushed fresh garlic in a jar, top off with a good quality oil, shake twice a day at least...2 weeks later, strain off the pulp, store in a dark jar.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of oil do you use to make your own garlic juice? Brands names? Are you able to use garlic juice they have at any grocery store?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I use first press olive oil most of the time. I have used peanut oil. I have never used the juice, so I cannot say how it would work.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally wouldn't be inclined to add oil to the garlic pressings. Maybe some water. Take some fresh garlic clove and crush it then put the crushings back through the crusher again. I think if you rinse that with a little RO/DI or tank water it will help.

Why would you put oil in your tanks?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

oil holds the properties of the garlic in a stable environment for longer periods of time. The medicinal and therapeutic value breaks down sooner in a water base. The frozen foods absorb the oil and you do not see oil on or in the water.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

that dont seem like you would get alot of juice from a clove of garlic...and wouldnt be much cheaper than just buying the garlic extreme.....Or do you think that garlic extreme is not as good as real garlic juice "fresh squeezed"?

Tags
orangeshoulder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com