Orangeshoulder Tang....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a Orangeshoulder tang for 15 dollars at the LFS because he was looking pretty bad and got a good deal. I have tried giving him dried seawead (green) and he dont seem to even look at it. He has been grazing off the rocks like crazy though what other kinds of food can you feed them and how do you prepare it. Thanks!

My guess is he is looking pretty bad because he hadnt been eating. I would be offering nori, brine or mysis shrimp soaked in a vitamin solution such as selcon.

If he won't eat nori off the clip try pinning it under a rock for him. If he was WC he may feel better about picking on the rocks than eating off of the clip. Try floating a little bit of it in the water column and see if he takes that. Make sure to soak the food in garlic and selcon. The garlic should entice him to eat.

Hope he comes around for you!

Hes already beginning to look alot better! I have been already adding garlic to his food and dont seem to matter to him. What kind of garlic can you use i have been using garlic extreme but the stuff is expensive....are you able to use garlic juice that you would buy from a grocery store....or anything else avaiable thats cheaper?

I make my own garlic oil...crushed fresh garlic in a jar, top off with a good quality oil, shake twice a day at least...2 weeks later, strain off the pulp, store in a dark jar.

What kind of oil do you use to make your own garlic juice? Brands names? Are you able to use garlic juice they have at any grocery store?

I use first press olive oil most of the time. I have used peanut oil. I have never used the juice, so I cannot say how it would work.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to add oil to the garlic pressings. Maybe some water. Take some fresh garlic clove and crush it then put the crushings back through the crusher again. I think if you rinse that with a little RO/DI or tank water it will help.

Why would you put oil in your tanks?

oil holds the properties of the garlic in a stable environment for longer periods of time. The medicinal and therapeutic value breaks down sooner in a water base. The frozen foods absorb the oil and you do not see oil on or in the water.

that dont seem like you would get alot of juice from a clove of garlic...and wouldnt be much cheaper than just buying the garlic extreme.....Or do you think that garlic extreme is not as good as real garlic juice "fresh squeezed"?

Get a little Selcon to help build his immunity. Soak the food in it, and it will help him fight off what ever he might have.

Mike

Garlic Xtreme is definitely helpful for finiky eaters, but the Selcon will provide the vitamins and minerals he needs.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom