Orchid Dottyback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushingme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got an orchid dottyback and now I am having regrets. Some the information I am reading says that they are aggressive. I have a tomatoe clown and a six line wrasse in with him so far but I want to have a tang and some other fish. Is this dottyback going to stress any new fish out when I introduce them? Some of the articles that I have read also have stated that the orchid is calmer than most dottybacks but I am worried that he will be a problem. Does anyone have any experience with this fish in a reef tank?
Thanks

I have one but I added him last. He actually seems to be the most docile fish that I have. He even gets pushed around by my royal gramma, who was one of my first fish . A yellow tang will certainly not be bothered by it, mine rules my tank. What other fish are you thinking of getting? The order in which you add them is very important! :D

I am thinking of a tang, a dwarf angelfish, midas blenny, and after that I am not sure. I am concerned that I have added the dottyback to early and it is going to cause havoc in my tank.

AHHHHH

I am thinking of a tang, a dwarf angelfish, midas blenny, and after that I am not sure. I am concerned that I have added the dottyback to early and it is going to cause havoc in my tank.

The dottyback shouldn't be to much of a concern, IME dwarf angels are more aggresive. I think you'll be fine as long as you have the "space" in the tank.

My p. Fridmani is very docile. No hint of bothering other fish.

I think if you'll look a little deeper they are mostly only agressive to fish of thier own species. I wouldn't sweat itone bit. Definatley add any tang last.

R-

I have a purple dottyback in my 90gal tank with a yellow tang, lunar wrasse, striped damsel, clowns and many chromis and he gets along with every one even though I was told he would be aggressive. I believe each fish has its own personality.

Steve

If you do get a midas blenny keep an eye out on him...i have one and he seems to go after my brazilian gramma occassionaly.However this may only be in my case. but if not, its a heads up.

When did you put your orchid dottyback in the tank? Was he last or in the middle? Some people have mentioned that I should have waited until the end to get him.

the orchids are pretty laid back and really should not bother anything. You really have to watch out for the bi color dottybacks though.

Back
Top Bottom