Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Orchid Dottyback vs. Royal Gramma?

Hi everyone,
I'm starting a SW tank this summer, and I'm thinking of which fish I want. I don't know the tank size yet. I'll see which fish I can't live without and then go from there!

So far, I want an orchid dottyback, royal gramma, and ocellaris clown. I'm reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and it says that a P. fridmani (orchid dottyback) and a royal gramma are in the same genus and won't get along. So I guess I have to choose between them.

Can anyone help me decide which fish to get? If you have one of these fish, can you share how hard they are to take care of, what their personalities are, if they hide a lot, how they would get along with a clown and some inverts, or anything that would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'm reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and it says that a P. fridmani (orchid dottyback) and a royal gramma are in the same genus and won't get along. So I guess I have to choose between them.
Orchids can be kept to gether in a large enough tank, so the real issue would be from the Gramma, FWIW, I agree and it shouldn't be done.

For me, it would be the P. frimandi, hands down. They are active and don't hide much after they are established. They will be hell on your pod population and bristle worms, but IMO, a more attractive fish.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
KLN
Aquarium Advice Regular

Agree on P. Fridmani. Beautiful, active, interesting swimming pattern.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

....not to mention you can easily get P. fridmani captive bred!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks everyone! I think I was leaning toward the P. fridmani too! It is very beautiful.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fridmani's are great. I've got one in my 20 gallon micro-reef, and he is the star of the tank. Recently he's taken to picking up small pieces of crushed coral from the back of the tank and spitting them out in the front of the tank. He seems quite proud of his rock-moving abilities.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Hi hicmndr,
It sounds like the fridmani is very happy in your tank! What else is in there with him? In a 20 gallon, could you have one or maybe 2 other fish with him? I don't know what size my tank will be, but I was thinking 20 or 30 gallons.

Does the fridmani need the crushed coral substrate? I was planning on sand, but I'll get some crushed coral if necessary. Could I put a little bit of crushed coral on top of the sand? It would be fun to watch him move it around!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I also have a black / white hybrid clownfish and a bicolor blenny. They all seem to be getting along well. The crushed coral isn't necessary, I just liked the combination of the crushed coral mixed into the aragonite sandbed.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love to be the exception. I have both, but I have a 70 gallon, and they stay on opposite sides of the aquarium. Actually, my dottyback gets a harder time from my yellow tang then anyone. The gramma does not interact with "dotty" at all. I love the personality of the dottyback a lot better. My gramma hides a lot more, and "dotty" also moves my gravel around if it does not please her. Good luck, they are both beautiful!
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, the book did say that both could be kept together in a large enough tank. It suggested a tank about 4 to 6 feet long. But I'm probably not going to go that big!

Do they (fridmani) like sand with some crushed coral mixed in? I wasn't aware that you could do that, but as I'm reading further into the book, it says that other fish like some gravel or rubble mixed in the substrate. I guess that means the crushed coral?

Tags
chi, royal, royal gramma

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com