Orchid Dottyback vs. Royal Gramma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,
I'm starting a SW tank this summer, and I'm thinking of which fish I want. I don't know the tank size yet. I'll see which fish I can't live without and then go from there!

So far, I want an orchid dottyback, royal gramma, and ocellaris clown. I'm reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and it says that a P. fridmani (orchid dottyback) and a royal gramma are in the same genus and won't get along. So I guess I have to choose between them.

Can anyone help me decide which fish to get? If you have one of these fish, can you share how hard they are to take care of, what their personalities are, if they hide a lot, how they would get along with a clown and some inverts, or anything that would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and it says that a P. fridmani (orchid dottyback) and a royal gramma are in the same genus and won't get along. So I guess I have to choose between them.

Orchids can be kept to gether in a large enough tank, so the real issue would be from the Gramma, FWIW, I agree and it shouldn't be done.

For me, it would be the P. frimandi, hands down. They are active and don't hide much after they are established. They will be hell on your pod population and bristle worms, but IMO, a more attractive fish.

Agree on P. Fridmani. Beautiful, active, interesting swimming pattern.

Fridmani's are great. I've got one in my 20 gallon micro-reef, and he is the star of the tank. Recently he's taken to picking up small pieces of crushed coral from the back of the tank and spitting them out in the front of the tank. He seems quite proud of his rock-moving abilities.

Hi hicmndr,
It sounds like the fridmani is very happy in your tank! What else is in there with him? In a 20 gallon, could you have one or maybe 2 other fish with him? I don't know what size my tank will be, but I was thinking 20 or 30 gallons.

Does the fridmani need the crushed coral substrate? I was planning on sand, but I'll get some crushed coral if necessary. Could I put a little bit of crushed coral on top of the sand? It would be fun to watch him move it around!

I also have a black / white hybrid clownfish and a bicolor blenny. They all seem to be getting along well. The crushed coral isn't necessary, I just liked the combination of the crushed coral mixed into the aragonite sandbed.

I love to be the exception. I have both, but I have a 70 gallon, and they stay on opposite sides of the aquarium. Actually, my dottyback gets a harder time from my yellow tang then anyone. The gramma does not interact with "dotty" at all. I love the personality of the dottyback a lot better. My gramma hides a lot more, and "dotty" also moves my gravel around if it does not please her. :D Good luck, they are both beautiful!

Yes, the book did say that both could be kept together in a large enough tank. It suggested a tank about 4 to 6 feet long. But I'm probably not going to go that big!

Do they (fridmani) like sand with some crushed coral mixed in? I wasn't aware that you could do that, but as I'm reading further into the book, it says that other fish like some gravel or rubble mixed in the substrate. I guess that means the crushed coral?

An t-iasg said:
Do they (fridmani) like sand with some crushed coral mixed in? I wasn't aware that you could do that, but as I'm reading further into the book, it says that other fish like some gravel or rubble mixed in the substrate. I guess that means the crushed coral?
They like many other fish of this type are just sifting for pods. FWIW, sand will still work just fine and IMO, a much easier to maintain substrate. With LR, they will get the same effect as the pick around the base for hiding critters...

Cheers
Steve

I've read that crushed coral can cause nitrate spikes, right? This is my first SW tank, and I will use sand as a substrate, because I want to keep it fairly easy! But can I use a cup or so of CC for the fridmani to play with?

Bizzybeas, what type of gravel do you have? I have some Estes brand gravel (beige-whitish) in my FW tank. I could put a little of that in the SW tank if the fridmani would like that. Or is this not a good idea? I want to do whatever will make the fish in my tank happy!

Typically CC traps detritus very easily making the tank harder to maintain. It also has a much smaller surface area by volume for colonizing bacteria. If you feel the need to add a single cup of CC for whatever reason, I do not think it will be a problem.

Cheers
Steve

I have had both fish, the dottyback currently and yrs back the royal gramma i like the royal gamma more though, but the royal hides alot more.. the one i had acted wierd. He was in a 55gal tank with a couple of tomato clowns, and a wrasse (i think it was a blu green) and about 1/4 of the tank hieght was covered in rock walls, within the walls i had some broadleaf (looked like a palm tree sort of) calupera. when the lights would go out, the royal would swim into the broadleef and sleep there till the lights came back on and not move an inch. It wasn't that flashy but cute to watch none the less.

Hi JProx and welcome! My bettas sleep like that in their plants...I've got some cute pictures of them doing that! I didn't think SW fish did it too!

Bizzybeas, if your substrate is sand, then the gravel that the dottyback plays with just comes from your LR?

hey An t-iasg thanks!

lol i didn't either till around 8pm one night (when the lights would go out) i was in the same room as the tank, saw a yellowish spec go flying through the tank, i looked closer and saw the gramma all curled up and ready for bed. A real shame though, that i can't seem to find anymore of that 'speicies' of culpera though i would like to see if the dottyback would do anything.

Back
Top Bottom