Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

order fish online or buy @ lfs?

what is better? In my mind, only having to acclimate 1 time would be better for the fish. If I buy at lfs, it has to acclimate there and again when I bring it home. Is this good logic? If so, what is the best site for buying healthy fish?

Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thepuffah
Well, I have ordered from online 1 time. I had a great expeience. Everything was A+. SO I would buy online definatly.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

what site did you use for your purchase?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I say buy Local. That way you can inspect the fish, it's health, the one that appeals to you, and make sure it's eating.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thepuffah
But online, you dont have to put it through the stress of re-acclimation. I ordered mine from www.marinedepotlive.com it came in great condition. I would highly recommend them!!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If you have a trusted local lfs buy local. The extra money spent is well worth it. The trip from the lfs to home is minimal compared to the overnight shipping from the online stores.

I have done both. I much prefer buying fish from 1 lfs but will never buy again from another. The good lfs will hold a fish for a week or two for me and I can see it eat.

You have no choice of selection from an online retailer and if you only buy 1 or 2 at a time (as you should), the shipping charges really add up. Shipping charges are not part of the arrive-alive guarantee either.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

good info from all...not sure I trust my lfs and in my small market there is only one choice for saltwater fish- I have a few weeks before have to make the call...will give them another chance but, for now, their advice is all over the board...just depends on what sales person you get ... that doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Right now, ph is off the charts and I need to complete a few pwc to get that under control before making another purchase. battling algea and a parasite on my little clown.The next fish will go in the qt- I didn't have that set up for the first purchase and am regretting it now
Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

shipping can be a killer.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are pros and cons both ways. In my city, we have Petco and 1 LFS that sells saltwater fish currently. Petco's prices are right, but their fish are always sick...hence I don't want to buy there. At the LFS, however, their fish are healthy, but their prices are so high it is outrageous.

2 Clownfish at LFS at 35.99 = 71.98 plus tax.

2 Clownfish at LiveAquaria.com at 13.99 = 27.98 + 30 shipping = 57.98.

You might save some money buying online in the long run, not to mention the much larger selection online...but you don't get to see the fish and how they look or see if they are eating...I looked at almost 20 Coral Beauty Angels locally before I found that perfect one I wanted to take home and then watched him eat voraciously...an advantage you lose online.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of both methods and decide for yourself.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used saltwaterfish.com in my last shipment. Everything arrived fine and acclimated perfectly. If you purchase up to $79 the shipping is free on livestock. The prices are reasonable as well.
I have one lfs that I buy from occasionally, but the selection is minimal. If your lucky, get to know and trust your lfs and stick with them. I have been to many Petco's here in Phoenix, and all of them lacked proper care in the SW department.

Mike

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com