Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Order of stocking...

Hey Guys,

First, assuming that my poor lady clown does not survive her lockjaw problem, will the singleton clown be ok? I so often see them as pairs. If it is better to pair them up and I need to get another one does it matter the size as long as the species is the same? The healthly one is pretty small.

Second. My hope is to add these to the two clowns.

1 bicolor blennie/sand sifting gobie or both?
1 firefish (the plain one)
1 6 line wrasse
2 bangai cardinalfish

I have heard to add the wrasse last. is there any other order you would suggest? this is a 40Gallon breeder.

Thanks
Ari

Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, no big deal keeping a single clown. I keep a single Oce with no problems. He's happy. I've kept Maroons, True Percs, and Fire Clowns singly and without an anemone. Long lived and easy to keep.

Clowns are love hate for some reason. Some people hate them.....don't know why. I've always kept a tank with atleast one because kids can feel smart when they run up to the tank and yell "CLOWN FISH!" They're iconic.

As far as your stock list, it's refreshing to see someone actually put together a reasonable stock list for a small tank. It is so common to see someone throw in a yellow tang, or Koran angel, or hippo tang into the mix which get way to big and get the obligatory eye roll from an experienced hobbyist reading the thread of someone who puts their wants over the welfare of the animals that they keep.

With that said, the six line wrasse can be ruthless if you get one that wants to terrorize its tank mates. Some will swear that they're great and another will swear how bad they are. Fairy wrasses are something to consider as a mild mannered substitute, but I think you have the right idea in your stocking list.....maybe a pygmy angel or a flame angel or a lemon peel for that matter instead.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too, would replace the wrasse with a dwarf angel. If you're set on the wrasse I'm sure it's doable. Also be sure to get tank bred bangaiis for multiple reasons
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will say those angels are gorgeous. My concern with them has always been my intent to make this a soft coral reef tank. And they are always listed as iffy for corals. Live aquaria lists many of them as 55-70 gallon. I've made the overstocking mistake in freshwater once and learned that lesson. I really don't want to harm these guys.

Thanks for the tip in the bangais.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
I will say those angels are gorgeous. My concern with them has always been my intent to make this a soft coral reef tank. And they are always listed as iffy for corals. Live aquaria lists many of them as 55-70 gallon. I've made the overstocking mistake in freshwater once and learned that lesson. I really don't want to harm these guys.

Thanks for the tip in the bangais.
Liveaquaria recently changed that from thirty gallons. A Lot of people here have them in thirties to fifties. Coral beauties are one of the least likely to nip. Especially when well fed. (Going off a lot of reading, not experience.)
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If u like angels and don't mind the risk a flame angel is also nice.. And a guy I work with had a potters angel in his 125 reef with no problems
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also consider the Cherub or Flameback Angel. They both stay small and are pretty well behaved when it comes to being reef compatible.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love the coral beauty it's a amazing fish with plenty of style and personality
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlgrey23 View Post
Hey Guys,

First, assuming that my poor lady clown does not survive her lockjaw problem, will the singleton clown be ok? I so often see them as pairs. If it is better to pair them up and I need to get another one does it matter the size as long as the species is the same? The healthly one is pretty small.

Second. My hope is to add these to the two clowns.

1 bicolor blennie/sand sifting gobie or both?
1 firefish (the plain one)
1 6 line wrasse
2 bangai cardinalfish

I have heard to add the wrasse last. is there any other order you would suggest? this is a 40Gallon breeder.

Thanks
Ari

For the fish order of adding to tank, I would do the firefish first-they're rather skittish at first. Then the cardinals, then the blenny. I've heard good and bad things about the sixlines, seems like they're hit or miss as far as personality goes. You could do it if you really love that particular kind of wrasse, but there are peaceful wrasse that are beautiful too. Like the carpenter flasher wrasse. If you plan on making this a reef tank down the line, I think it's a good idea to avoid dwarf angels, had mine eat a bunch of coral despite the fact I feed every day.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got a firefish and a bicolor blenny today. I saw Beengirls suggestion to add him after the cardinalfish, but they were to expensive today. Hopefully that won't be an issue later.

Unfortunately Missus lockjaw clown showed a spot today.... didn't notice it till i'd already placed the new fish in. Darn.

take a look.... dumb clown

I don't have a QT tank, I hope it's just stress from the jaw problem .... frak.

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spot 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	136518   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	136519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	spot 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	136520   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot 4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	136521  

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com