Order to add fish to new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob FishUK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of setting up my first reef aquarium.

My tank and sump are plumbed in and the tank is now filled with saltwater. Once I return from holiday I will be purchasing live rock and will then start on a fishless cycling program. Volume of water in the tank is 465 litres (US Gallons 123) and in the sump 120 litres (US Gallons – 32). I plan on keeping soft and LPS corals with SPS to follow in a year or so.

I have decided most of the fish that I am looking to add to my reef aquarium but would appreciate your views on:

(i) The order these fish should be added;
(ii) Whether these fish are compatible;
(iii) Issues with any of these fish being reef safe (I am aware of the risks of flame angels);
(iv) Any great fish I am not including (my tank does not have a lid so I am avoiding any jumpers and I am trying to avoid copepod eating fish to give the mandarin a chance).

I was thinking of adding the following fish in this order:

2 x True percula clown fish
1 x royal gramma
1 x copperbanded butterflyfish
1 x yellow tang
1 x powder blue tang
1 x schooling bannerfish (possibly two)
1 x flame angel
1 x mandarin dragonet (I will probably wait one year to give copepods a chance to establish themselves)
1 x orchid dottyback (I will add this fish last as due to its aggressiveness – this fish was chosen by my wife so I have to include it)

Fish I have considered but am not planning on including

6 line wrasse – jumper and I have heard they are evil
Cardinal – have seen them in my LFS and they don’t appear to do anything (I am prepared to be corrected on this one)
Gobys – eat copepods – although I would really like one paired with a pistol shrimp.

Thanks in advance for your help

Talk to wife that fish I have had very bad time with he will slowly murder alot of fish shrimp, also gamma ( I think) will eat pods as I'm told anything that grazes on rocks spends a lot of time on rocks will eat pods and gamma and orchid will fight both Territorial

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely avoid adding the orchid dottyback. Shame, it was the first time my wife showed any interest in the aquarium!

Back
Top Bottom