Ordering Corals Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody ever order corals online? Was thinking about ordering some from LiveAquaria. Anybody have any experience with them? Looking at getting some zoas and/or pipe organ coral.

Only corals I ever lost were the ones purchase online. I recommend buying from LFS or hobbyists. I will never ever buy one online personally.

I have ordered from liveaquaria lots of times. Great place! They even refunded my money on a fish that didnt survive. My LFS doesnt even do that :). And their prices are better than my LFS even adding in the overnite price.

In bigger cities with a big reefing community it's easier to avoid buying online. But if you're like me and live in a veritable desert for saltwater aquaria then it's one of your only options. My lfs has a tiny selection of corals so unless I want to drive 2 hours to get to a bigger store online is it.

I did buy one order of soft corals from reef2go and had horrible luck with them. I do however attribute some of that loss to me being new to the hobby though.

I would only buy from liveaquaria if its a rarer coral that I can never find or get at my LFS. Luckily I have a very good reefing LFS within 5 miles from my home.

Pics are sometimes deceptive online and coral color will be dependent on lighting (their lighting vs your own lighting)

I haven't found a place here locally that sells a wide variety of zoas. I was thinking of buying from LiveAquaria. A previous poster noted that even with the shipping, they tend to be cheaper than at the LFS, and that seems about right. It is an expensive gamble.

I ordered online 5 zoas from Areef2go with free shipping. It came with a big box nicely packed. When I opened it, to my surprise it contains also other stuff I did not order. There were other soft corals, fish and inverts. So I thought they must be give aways. So I carefully acclimate and distribute them to my 2 tanks. After reading the packing slip, I realized there were 2 other names with the list of the other stuff under them. So I asked myself, what shall I do now? This must be a mistake from the packing personnel or may be just a gimmick to please the buyers since the cost of 5 tiny zoas is $120 with 5 polyps seems outrageous. I wonder if this also happens to anyone else..

I ordered online 5 zoas from Areef2go with free shipping. It came with a big box nicely packed. When I opened it, to my surprise it contains also other stuff I did not order. There were other soft corals, fish and inverts. So I thought they must be give aways. So I carefully acclimate and distribute them to my 2 tanks. After reading the packing slip, I realized there were 2 other names with the list of the other stuff under them. So I asked myself, what shall I do now? This must be a mistake from the packing personnel or may be just a gimmick to please the buyers since the cost of 5 tiny zoas is $120 with 5 polyps seems outrageous. I wonder if this also happens to anyone else..

They weren't to e aways and were most likely a mistake. Those expensive zoas are designer zoas and are generally fairly slow growing. It's the price you pay for getting fancy corals.

Back
Top Bottom