ORP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardridge

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I took off my ozone generator. When it was on my orp was 405-425. Without it it been 350 - 370 so what do you think? Should I just leave it off?

Not really to be honest. So whats the benefit between 425 vs 360
Probably not a whole lot....if any.
Here's a good article if you want to delve deeper into ORP, what it is and what it does.
ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"If an oxidizer (ozone) is added and ORP goes up in 30 seconds, is the water purer? Not likely. More likely, that addition shifted many of the redox species to their more oxidizing forms. Is that beneficial? Maybe. Is it detrimental? Maybe. For example, the bioavailability of certain metals may depend on the form that those metals take. Is increasing bioavailability of them desirable? It all depends on the details. Details that are simply not known for aquaria."
"Some aquarists use oxidizers to raise ORP. Those additions may be of benefit in some aquaria, and they may be beneficial in ways that aren't demonstrated by changes in ORP alone. I've never added such materials to my aquarium. In the absence of convincing data otherwise, such additions seem to me to have more potential risk than is justified by the demonstrated and hypothesized benefits."

Great article. I was wondering the benefits myself.

ccCapt said:
Probably not a whole lot....if any.
Here's a good article if you want to delve deeper into ORP, what it is and what it does.
ORP and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"If an oxidizer (ozone) is added and ORP goes up in 30 seconds, is the water purer? Not likely. More likely, that addition shifted many of the redox species to their more oxidizing forms. Is that beneficial? Maybe. Is it detrimental? Maybe. For example, the bioavailability of certain metals may depend on the form that those metals take. Is increasing bioavailability of them desirable? It all depends on the details. Details that are simply not known for aquaria."
"Some aquarists use oxidizers to raise ORP. Those additions may be of benefit in some aquaria, and they may be beneficial in ways that aren't demonstrated by changes in ORP alone. I've never added such materials to my aquarium. In the absence of convincing data otherwise, such additions seem to me to have more potential risk than is justified by the demonstrated and hypothesized benefits."

? So would u say when orp starts to drop its time to do a water change?

No, not necessarily. If you are not running ozone there is absolutely no reason to monitor ORP. The only reason to monitor it at all is when running ozone so the ORP doesn't get too high.

Back
Top Bottom