Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

Did I forget to mention it is a rimless tank? I just finished painting the back and here it is sitting on the stand!

[IMG]

Also, quick question. Because the stand is wider than the aquarium, should I centre the tank on the stand or can I leave it flush to the front like in the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Did I forget to mention it is a rimless tank? I just finished painting the back and here it is sitting on the stand!

[IMG]

Also, quick question. Because the stand is wider than the aquarium, should I centre the tank on the stand or can I leave it flush to the front like in the picture?

I'm really jealous of that tank man! I think it looks good the way it is sitting, but its completely up to you.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

I would personally leave it up front, so you can get behind it better. I have my tank sitting 8inches off the wall.

It also gives it a pedestal look the more away from the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that worries me is that the stand isn't level. It actually leans front a bit and is going to be worse once filled with water. I will be shimming the stand level though. Still think it won't be a problem?

In other news, a friend gave me a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 for this tank which is pretty cool. I was initially just gonna run 2 AC50s.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that worries me is that the stand isn't level. It actually leans front a bit and is going to be worse once filled with water. I will be shimming the stand level though. Still think it won't be a problem?

In other news, a friend gave me a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 for this tank which is pretty cool. I was initially just gonna run 2 AC50s.

As long as you can shim it and get it very close to level I don't think there would be a problem. You will notice exactly how I level it I on that rimless tank though from the water level line. I heard good things about those skimmers which I wad kinda surprised about. A buddy of mine has a really big one and he loves it.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #26
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My setup isn't level...I hate seeing the water level going off at an angle, but not much I can do about it at this stage in the game. Just get some shims and prop things up until it is level like Paul said. It is a really interesting stand, you've put so much effort into it already you might as well make sure everything is squared away before you add water.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I always had the intention of shimming. I was just worried the stand would be too front heavy but I think I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, up to now, I just need to cut out some egg crate to line my tank, change RODI pre-filters, shim, and clean up the basement. After that, we're good to go on transfer!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I always had the intention of shimming. I was just worried the stand would be too front heavy but I think I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, up to now, I just need to cut out some egg crate to line my tank, change RODI pre-filters, shim, and clean up the basement. After that, we're good to go on transfer!

Sounds good! I'm paranoid about large volumes of water crashing onto my hardwood floors also! I guess that why when I built my stand I went way overkill. LOL. Its only holding a 38 gallon tank but could probably easily hold triple the weight. Are you going to do a sump on this tank?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No sump on the 32 but I am planning it when I get the eventual 65. I just don't want to go through the hassle of drilling or the headache or a HOB overflow for a tank that probably won't even be up for more than a year.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
No sump on the 32 but I am planning it when I get the eventual 65. I just don't want to go through the hassle of drilling or the headache or a HOB overflow for a tank that probably won't even be up for more than a year.

Understandable.

Tags
gallon, oscar, stem, system, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com