Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Long time no update...

I'll start with the bad news. Unfortunately, I can't keep a wrasse alive for the sake of me. I don't know why or how, but I haven't seen the yellow wrasse since the last update and I presumed it dead. I also lost the spotted Mandarin for no apparent reason. When he wasn't constantly hunting pods, he was eating frozen foods like a pig. As much as it sucks, I'm going to leave my current stock at what it is:
-starry blenny
-flame hawk
-royal gramma
-clown pair

I'm pretty happy with it.

Now the good news! I picked up a few frags over the past couple of weeks which consisted of an acan, mille, and some other acro. They're all doing great and have colored up very well. I've also got a couple of acro frags, ultra acan, and a purple gold torch that are lined up for me very soon.

My aquarium is getting pretty sps dominant and I've also started dosing. The tank is sucking up alkalinity pretty quickly and calcium isn't too far behind. Luckily, a friend gave me a doser that just needs new pump heads.

It doesn't stop there though! The best news of all is that I actually got a 24x24x18 cube aquarium for free. I've always loved cubed aquariums and I was lucky enough to find this one. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I'll keep you guys updated.

Sorry for the long post! I'll make up for it with some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sorry to hear about the losses man. The mandarin is understandable, but the chysus wrasses are usually pretty hardy. You sure it hasn't jumped? They are jumpers. Can't wait to see the new corals though! My tank is slowly becoming more SPS dominate as well.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Sorry to hear about the losses man. The mandarin is understandable, but the chysus wrasses are usually pretty hardy. You sure it hasn't jumped? They are jumpers. Can't wait to see the new corals though! My tank is slowly becoming more SPS dominate as well.

I initially thought it jumped but I looked everywhere possible. Only other possibility is that my dog ate it lol

Old 05-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
I initially thought it jumped but I looked everywhere possible. Only other possibility is that my dog ate it lol

Very possible. Nothing like a dehydrated wrasse. LOL. Health fanatics go crazy over that stuff!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As promised! I played around with a DSLR for some of the pictures as well. I'm no photographer but i think i got some pretty nice shots!

DSLR shots first.

My favorite!

New corals!

And some natural shots...

Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looks great Oscar! I would however watch those mushrooms around those SPS's. They can seriously cripple one of the sting it and that one looks really close. Personally I would suggest relocating with the frags or the mushrooms. The frags will probably be easier to move. I would just hate to see you loose them. Mushrooms can be very potent.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, im very aware of those mushrooms lol they're growing everywhere! I'm gonna try and remove as many as possibly to make some frags to give away.

On the cube build, I'm going to trade all my rock for fresh clean rock. For now, the plan is to set up a sps dominant reef. I wanna get my hands on some rarer sps species.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Yeah, im very aware of those mushrooms lol they're growing everywhere! I'm gonna try and remove as many as possibly to make some frags to give away.

On the cube build, I'm going to trade all my rock for fresh clean rock. For now, the plan is to set up a sps dominant reef. I wanna get my hands on some rarer sps species.

I finally got my hands on a piece of strawberry shortcake the other day! Always on the lookout for those! Its just usually a hefty price comes with them.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post

I finally got my hands on a piece of strawberry shortcake the other day! Always on the lookout for those! Its just usually a hefty price comes with them.

Ouu those are definitely pretty!

I'm actually thinking of setting up a small frag tank, maybe 15-20 gallons. I was thinking of lighting it with these par38 bulbs. You think one would be enough?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261885143832

Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great pictures Oscar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
gallon, oscar, stem, system, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com