Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just love the coral on the bottom right of photo #2 in post #99.

Beautiful corals and pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great pieces Oscar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Sean! I'm really happy with what I've got.

I just love the coral on the bottom right of photo #2 in post #99.

Beautiful corals and pictures!!

Thanks Alyxandria! Are you talking about the Devil's Hand or Blue Sympodium? I actually just gave away the Devil's Hand but a second one is growing in its place from where i cut the stalk.

Great shots Oscar! That Acan is looking really nice!

Thanks Paul! I'm really loving this DSLR. What do you think about the suspect Red Planet?

I'm jealous! Been on my list for a good while, but I refuse to pay shipping. LOL

Thing is, I'm not sure it if actually is a red planet. I bought the piece for 15$ straight from the supplier and it's just recently coloured up. I wasn't sure if I hit the jackpot or not but it seems like I have lol

I'd send you a piece if you were closer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A red planet week table out when it grows. Even if it's not, who cares. It's a nice looking red piece of Acro!

Quick little update...

Came back from vacation to my Red Planet receding at the base. I'm not sure what the reason could be apart from nitrates but my recent vinegar dosing schedule has it near under control. Other than that, everytihng is going extremely well.

Here are a couple of older shots. I'll try to get some shots taken soon, new corals and all :)

18765565823_5b544a4b6e_b.jpg

18763665374_6152615b73_b.jpg

19199886609_ca14215c61_b.jpg

19386107435_994a1e1073_b.jpg

A drastic move in the opposite direction can be just as stressful and costly for corals. I basically made a similar move on my system with some of Red Sea's nitrate/phosphate remover. Pretty quick results, in both directions. Algae that is in the tank slowed greatly and is much easier to remove. But, the frags in the tank did not like what happened at all. Most showed recession and death. Most of the larger colonies didn't miss a beat though.

A drastic move in the opposite direction can be just as stressful and costly for corals. I basically made a similar move on my system with some of Red Sea's nitrate/phosphate remover. Pretty quick results, in both directions. Algae that is in the tank slowed greatly and is much easier to remove. But, the frags in the tank did not like what happened at all. Most showed recession and death. Most of the larger colonies didn't miss a beat though.

I made sure to take it slow and so far so good, apart from the red planet. I don't understand what could've caused the nitrate spike though. My only thought would be the introduction of my wrasse. He does stir up some sand and I'm afraid it's released some trapped nutrients into the water.

Nice shots Oscar! Love the hawk fish. That one fish I've never had.

Thanks Paul! I love my hawk, he's got a pretty funny personality. If I wasn't too afraid of fighting and nitrates I'd love to get a second one or even a longnose.

Hey Oscar! Sorry to hear your red planet is receding. Have you changed flow or anything lately either? Got a pic of the recession?

Hey Oscar! Sorry to hear your red planet is receding. Have you changed flow or anything lately either? Got a pic of the recession?

Hey Bribo, glad to see you're back! Here's a quick iPhone shot of the RP. Just not doing well at all. Poor PE, poor colors, and of course the receding tissue.

20085316568_3168bfd8d0_b.jpg

On a good note, here's my newest tricolor acro i've had for a few weeks now. It's been doing great so far, fingers crossed.

20247061486_b14f1c27b7_b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, they don't do any justice.

Yeah maybe look into fragging the red planet if the recession continues. I'd frag so you have the living base and then make the top a separate frag.

I fragged the red planet and to no avail, the frags started receding. I figured out my issue though and let me tell you, bad test kits are no fun. You know what might cause recession, bleached corals, burnt tips, and overall coral decline? 40ppm nitrates... Yup... :facepalm:

I just don't understand how my nitrates have risen so high. I mean I've had 5 fish in a 20G with 0 nitrates. Now, I've got 6 and they don't produce nearly as much as my previous bioload did. I also feed sparingly and I've fed my corals a lot less than i did in my 20. I mean, I've missed a few WCs here and there but I never went longer than a 2 week span without a water change.

Anyway, I picked up some Red Sea Coral Pro salt and I'm going to get on with large spread out WCs to bring this level down safely. I'm also going to quit on vinegar dosing as that seemingly did nothing for me either.

Wish me luck...

Hope it goes well man. Nitrates can be tricky if you can't detect them due to algae growth. I don't even want to think about the battle I did in my tank with them, even though on all tests it has always been 0.

Hope it goes well man. Nitrates can be tricky if you can't detect them due to algae growth. I don't even want to think about the battle I did in my tank with them, even though on all tests it has always been 0.

Thanks Hank.

Funny thing, I have absolutely zero algae growth. If I did I would've known earlier that something was up.

Running my skimmer wet and quite a few water changes later, I finally got my nitrates down to a respectable level. I was testing between 5-10ppm yesterday night but I just did a water change today so I'll update with nitrate progression later.

Corals are all looking a lot happier but i still managed to lose that red planet :(

On a good note though, I picked up some more monti caps. Two frags of a golden/yellow base with red/burgundy polyps and a simple purple one. They're exactly what I need to fill in a lower light corner of my tank! I'm just missing a green monti cap and I'll be happy in regards to that.

Back
Top Bottom