Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oscarr19's 100 Gallon System Upgrade

It's finally time to start this upgrade!

So, for those of you who knew I wanted to start a coral business knew I had picked up a used 40 Breeder to start it off with. This is it:

[IMG]

After some thinking, I realized if I wanted to start a business I needed a lot more gallonage and so I decided to keep my hobby for personal pleasure and not profit. For me, it still paid off as I now have a tank to upgrade to!

With only a 40 breeder and a 15 gallon sump, total volume would hit about 47-48 gallons and that just wasn't enough for me. I already was uneasy about the structural integrity of the tank, plumbing choices, and sump size. And so, I decided I was going to overhaul this kit.

My plans were to get a 65G tank, similar to the dimensions of a 40 breeder, but 8" taller. That alone would get me an extra 25 gallons.

The stand would stay, but unfortunately the opening is only 26" so I had to settle with a 20H tank. Assuming, while running it's 50% full, it brings my total gallonage to 75.

My final idea was to plumb a frag tank into the system. Ideally, a 20-30 gallon tank. Not only would it help me with water quality, but it would make my life so much easier only having to maintain one system instead of two.

So now we're here, the 40 breeder is sold and due to leave October 1st. There's a lot of work to do and I'm going to make sure I do this right. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have this wet and have my old stock transferred by January.

There are still a lot more details I want to share with you about my plans but for now I just wanted to introduce you to what's in store. I hope you guys will enjoy the ride from here as I share this little adventure

Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First official reply of this thread.

On another note,
This is exciting

Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It is indeed!

The first order of business is to fix up
The stand. It got a little roughed up during the move and needs a good sanding, filling, and paint job.

I'm actually putting together a small man cave in the area the tank is in. I'm going with a sporty look as the walls are already yellow which fits perfectly as I'm a Bruins fan. Jerseys hung up and all it's only fitting that I repaint the stand black instead of the current dark brown.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice! Looking forward to your build.

🐚
Old 09-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just wanted to throw in the link to my current tank for any new readers

Oscarr's 20G Reef

I'll be working on the stand pretty much for the next week. Gonna have to fill, sand, paint, and add some nicer details to it.

It would be smart to also repaint the interior of the stand. Do you guys know what the best paint is to preserve the inside of the stand?

Here's what the stand looks like presently, including the inside with the 15G sump.

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 11-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, it's time to get back on track.

Unfortunately, this won't be a 100 gallon system just yet. I decided to dial down this build until after the holidays, spring the latest. But, due to growth rates in my current tank, I'm going to be forced to upgrade to something anyway.

So, I picked up a brand new 32G aquarium kit for only 40$. This allows me to not have to upgrade anything, only have to worry about transfer, and allow me to have more space for livestock so I don't bore anyone to death. Of course, I'll still be slowly adding equipment to my build that'll fit into this tank and it'll still be a factor in my 100G system as the possible frag tank.

The tank will sit on the 65G stand and because of obvious size difference, it might be a little unsightly, but I can live with it for a few months.

All that's left to do is finish the stand and I can't start transferring stock. The stand is prepped for painting and I'm likely to get it done next weekend, this time for real though.

Sorry, for the long post but it's good to be active in this hobby again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Well, it's time to get back on track.

Unfortunately, this won't be a 100 gallon system just yet. I decided to dial down this build until after the holidays, spring the latest. But, due to growth rates in my current tank, I'm going to be forced to upgrade to something anyway.

So, I picked up a brand new 32G aquarium kit for only 40$. This allows me to not have to upgrade anything, only have to worry about transfer, and allow me to have more space for livestock so I don't bore anyone to death. Of course, I'll still be slowly adding equipment to my build that'll fit into this tank and it'll still be a factor in my 100G system as the possible frag tank.

The tank will sit on the 65G stand and because of obvious size difference, it might be a little unsightly, but I can live with it for a few months.

All that's left to do is finish the stand and I can't start transferring stock. The stand is prepped for painting and I'm likely to get it done next weekend, this time for real though.

Sorry, for the long post but it's good to be active in this hobby again!

Hey a 32 is big compared to a 20! I believe you will thoroughly enjoy that extra 12 gallons even if temporary.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah I'm getting a little more than a foot extra in length and a couple inches more in width so it'll provide plenty of space for the time being. Plus, I've got my eyes on a few corals haha

Old 12-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Finally getting some progress in here. I really suck at painting though...

[IMG]

Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Finally getting some progress in here. I really suck at painting though...

[IMG]

You should have seen my floor after staining the 55 stand. The cleaners yelled at me for making such a big mess.

Tags
gallon, oscar, stem, system, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com