Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oscillating Powerhead - anyone ever use?

Osci-Wave

I was looking at these and wondering with the other wavemakers I am under the impression that they turn the PH on/off which puts extra wear and tear on them. Why not use one of these and keep the PH on always?

Is there something I'm missing from these? or is the Wavemaker Pro by Red Sea just much better?

If so why? because of the feeding settings or just more random water movement?

TIA

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
WOW at $100 thats an awful expensive solution since it will only do 1 PH at a time. Where as other wavemakers will work for at least 3-or-4 PH's usually.

Only thing I can think of as a negitive given that I have not used one is that they appear to be rather bulky.
Quote:
Approximate dimension: 3.5" x 5.5" x 2.5".
Add to that the dimentions of your PH sticking into the water and then have it ossolate back and forth and thats a lot of area being taken up by the PH.

I have not used other wavemakers either so I cant comment how they would be better than an ossolating PH.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A quick google search turned up this article.

http://www.mops.ca/articles/osciwave.htm

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I use the Natural Wave timer from Aquarium Systems. It will run three powerheads and looks like a regular 6 outlet power strip. Three plugs are always on and three are timed (adjustable). It sells for about $55.00. I use only Maxi Jet PH's and I wouldn't use anything else on a wavemaker. I think you could achieve a better effect with this than you could by using an oscillating PH. It's not really current than you're looking for but turbulence. You want to try to create something that mimcs the action of the waves on the reef. For a little more than the $100 that this thing will cost you, you could have the Natural Wave and 3 Maxi Jets. JMHO.
I wouldn't recommend the Zoo Med oscillating PH's as I have not had good service from them.
Logan J
Old 05-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about them.

Maxi Jet's that good huh? I see you raving about them all the time. Back in the day it was always penquins

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I've used them all at one time or another and I think the MJ is the best thing out there. JMHO though.
Logan J
Old 05-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

THey are a whole lot better than RIO's I can tell ya that.

Maxijets are in my household aswell.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Back in the day it was always penquins
You know, you are right. I used the Penguin a few years back and thought of them when I got into Saltwater. I bought two of them and they are great for pushing water but they really are not good for attaching to the tank...Verrry Shottty.

I am going to needlessly replace them with the maxi-jets now, because I like the way they attach to the tank,,,I also keep hearing how good they are..and for $20 to replace what I paid $40 for, not too bad I must say...
Old 05-03-2003, 10:01 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, I did the Penguin thing too. Still have an old 1140 laying around here somewhere. They're pretty good, but as timbo pointed out, they don't have a good way to attach them to the tank. The MJ has AWESOME suction cups that almost never turn loose. It also comes with a plastic hanger that hooks over the side of the tank if you want to position the PH up high. They also come with a good strainer that won't clog easily and will prevent inverts from taking a ride through the impeller. I won't use anything else if I can help it. Everything I have tried from Aquarium Systems has been very good.
Logan J
Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to normd
I use an OsciWave and love it. I have a MJ1200 on it and it creates a nice wave in the tank from a corner. IMO it beats a wavemaker since the powerhead is on all the time and does not get switched on and off.

I accidentally dropped it in my tank and Bruce replaced the guts for $20. I'm thinking about getting another one as this is an economical choice over the long run.

Norm

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com