Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

osmo-prep question

lfs guy told me i need to dissolve the osmo prep into my ro water for 24 hours before i start dissolving my salt is that true?

Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
steve-s

No, your salt contains everything you need. The LFS in question is just after an additional sale.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the salt is intant ocean should i put the osmo prep in anyways?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
steve-s

The main problem with IO salt is low Ca and sometimes high alk. Osmo prep isn't going to fix that. It's a useless additive.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

so which is the best salt to use? I too am using io.. and would it hurt to switch? what are the proper procedures to switch if I so choose?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanicsublimat
so which is the best salt to use?
No such thing. Choose a salt that suits the needs of your tank and maintenance you are able to do on a regular basis. If an FO system IO salts are okay, personally I would never use it but that's my choice. Some use it and have absolutely no issue with it. If an FOWLR or reef, look for a more balanced salt that actually helps replenish the elements the system uses up. Kent or Tropic Marine would be good options.

Quote:
I too am using io.. and would it hurt to switch? what are the proper procedures to switch if I so choose?
In your case the tank is still in the set up process so now would be the ideal time to switch. If an established system or one containing added animal life, switching salts should be done very slowly over several weeks. Typically doing smaller water changes more frequntly for about 6ish weeks is adequate. ie... do 2x weekly 5% water changes as apposed to 1x weekly 10% water change. This gives the animals in the system time to acclimate and adapt to the chemistry of the new salt slowly. This is especially important with inverts of any kind.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com