other types of clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any other types of clams, besides tridacnas, that can be bought for the home aquarium? I've seen pictures of other peoples tanks with small plain looking clams, but don't know what they were.

Yes, but those are all types of tridacna clams. Just different second names but all start with tridacna. All are members of the giant clams, but are there any other plainer clams?

flame scallop.... pretty kewl... but they tend to die... they're filter feeders... don't need light.

c0mf0rt said:
flame scallop.... pretty kewl... but they tend to die... they're filter feeders... don't need light.

mine lasted pretty long...
THey are hard to feed because of the specific size of foods they eat... or should I say filter...

As for plain clams.. No idea.. you want clams like you can eat those kind? The ones that hide in the sand? Or what are you looking for? I have a BiValve thats VERY boring and rock looking I'll send him if you want heh...

That's exactly what I was talking about. I have read that they help with nitrates and that site says just that. Thanks.

I have snails in my fuge as well as britstle worms and mini stars. I think these would be similar to a snail and as long as you had scavengers at hand they would take care of it.

Wow that site also sells pods. They say they are the type for mandarins. Amphipods? Is that true anyone?

Not all giant clams belong to the Genus Tridacnea. There are also several species that belong to the genus Hippopus. The two most commonly seen ones in the trade are Hippopus hippopus and Hippopus porcelanis. I myself have a H. porcelanis. They are generally cheaper than most Tridacnea spp. clams, but they still comand a nice price, and are stil very much photosynthetic. I would say that the bivalves you are looking at are cold water species, as I have dived those out millions of times in the Mediteranean. However, I have never seen them in the Pacific, Carribean or any other Atlantic location for that matter. With that said, that does not mean that they will not adjust to the temperatures of a reef tank. What I would suggest, is going to your local library, keying it out to a genus AND species, and then doing a little research on them. If they are the species that I have seen, they will perish unless they are burried in soft mud. So if they are a cold water species that needs to be burried in soft mud, you may be looking at a too specialized animal for a reef tank.

Andrej

Back
Top Bottom