Our first!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrkalot

Aquarium Advice Activist
She is a baby Regal Tang about 1 inch (including tail) and is about the cutest liitle thing we have ever seen. We were planing on getting a few green chromis to start but fell head over heals for "Marina".

When we put her to bed last night she was hiding behind a rock next to a PH. Got up this morning and she was nowhere to be found. Panic! We searched and searched. Ended up lifting rocks, checking the over flow, the floor... we were sure she was gone. 20 minutes later I glanced over and there she was! She has found a home in a barnical where we have an air stone.

She has been out and done a little exploring and seems to be doing ok.

Good deal. Be sure that the tang is eating. Tangs in general have small oral openings and small tangs would be even smaller.

I like to feed my tangs nori sheets. This is very close to their natural food source and they can rip and tear off small bits from an algae clip.

I think we got nori sheets (I'll have to check the package) but it looks like dried seaweed sushi wrap. The lsf was out of the clips so we rubber banded some to a shell and placed it next to her barnical.

The guy at the lfs said we may want to get a couple of hermit crabs and a week or two to help clean up some of the left overs.

wrkalot said:
I think we got nori sheets (I'll have to check the package) but it looks like dried seaweed sushi wrap. The lsf was out of the clips so we rubber banded some to a shell and placed it next to her barnical.

yep, that's the stuff. Tang's love to grave all day long. I usually remove any leftovers pieces after about 6 hours or it really turns to much and disentigrates all over the tank.

Smaller regals can be a bit more difficult then larger specimens. When there small like yours they tend to graze more from the rocks. I think the rubber band will be better than a clip until it becomes more comfortable in the tank. As it grows it will feed more from the water collum, and its diet can be more meaty. Just provide lots of variety. Best of luck (y)

Does it matter what type of nori it is? Toasted or Dried? Or either or is ok as long as it isn't salted nori?

Thanks,

John

Not toasted. Just the dried stuff. I got mine from the sushi bar at the supermarket. They gave me package that must have at least 50 sheets in it for $4.85 For NJ, that's a bargain! :)

This girl has quite an appetite :D We moved the food to a decorative coral that she's hanging out around and it didn't take her long to start attacking the food.

Oh ok, I will try the dried since it's harder to keep fresh seaweed for long, I'm also feeding them fresh seaweed which is widely available in Hawaii. :)

Thanks,

John

I never even considered fresh. I haven't seen it available here :(

Seems like fresh would be best. Anyone know of a reason not to use it?

Yes, fresh is very good so far. They love it, and it doesn't start breaking up and decomposing like dried nori. I just got back from picking some from the beach today. :)

I guess the only problem I could forsee using fresh seaweed is possible parasites.

Back
Top Bottom