Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Our hitchhiker Mantis update

Well, though I was in the clear. its been 2 months since I added the last batch of rock...thought wrong.
Was walking by my tank tonight and something caught my eye in the sand. So I stop and carefully take a closer look. Yup, a 1" Mantis Shrimp. He didn't appear to notice me at first (the room lights were off) so I was able to get a good look. As soon as he did see me he was gone in a flash.
Been hearing intermittent clicking sound, thought it was my pistol shrimp....guess not,
Gotta get him out while He's small and I don't know where he resided yet. Anyone try those mantis traps?
Too bad, would love to keep him in there, he is a very pretty redish color. Anyone know what kind that would be?
Once caught (if I can) anyone want him? If not, I'll either put him in the sump or take him to my LFS.
Only casualty so far that I have seen was a pulverized hitchiker crab I fould the other day. But I am worried about my Peppermints, they are pretty small.
Need help catching. Thanks!!! 8)

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I have heard some clicking. every once in a while I will hear 2 or 3 in a row. I think It may be a pistol shrimp, but I have found 3 dead crabs. no sign of trama on any of them, so who knows. :|

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i didnt try the traps but if at all possible that freshwater dip worked wonders... but that will be ahrd for u to do seeing as im sure there will be complications... cant hurt to have him in ur sump i wouldnt thing... extra entertainment hes prolly really pretty
Old 09-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I know a carbonated water dip did wonders for my mantis population. Then an all out war in the mantis/undesirable crab tank was fun.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
I know a carbonated water dip did wonders for my mantis population. Then an all out war in the mantis/undesirable crab tank was fun.
Thanks Bearfan, I thought about you when I found him.
I read that thread and used that method when the rock came in. Got pistols and crabs but this little stinker never came out.
The more I think about the more I am considering setting up a 10 for him. Done a lot of readiing, they are a cool animals.....but not in my main.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you are referring to the mantis shrimp (a.k.a. shrimp snapper) then it may be a Squilla mantis, family Squillidae. I am sure you have seen the enlarged claw at work. Shrimpers here call them shrimp snappers and they hate them because that claw is lightning fast and can lacerate a finger really quickly. I hear they are good to eat too...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see you dive. I am booking a week in Cozumel for Jan 05. Ever been there?
Just went it July and need another fix already.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't had the chance to dive Cozumel yet. I have been to St. Maarten, Saba, Palma de Mallorca (Spain), and Antalya (Turkey) as well as here in the Gulf of Mexico and off the Virginia coast at Va. Beach.
I am doing a dive this weekend (weather permitting) off the Port Aransas jetties to collect some new rock and inverts for my tank and a friend's tank.
EDIT: As a sidenote, it looks like I may get the chance to do a two week trip to the Si'an Ka'an Marine Preserve (in Mexico) this summer as part of my LAST classes for my Master's degree. It is a course on Coral Reef Ecology that requires the two-week trip before a grade will be released. Oh no...twist my arm and make me spend two weeks diving on a coral reef off the tropical Mexican coast...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think I am going back in March and staying at El Coz for like the 100th time
Old 09-23-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think we are drifting off the subject here...
That Squilla would be cool in a tank, but it will eat just about anything it can get. They are very predatory and quite aggressive. In general, shrimp are predatory and often cannibalistic. Penaeid shrimp (Family Penaeidae) will readily eat smaller members of the same species. They will also eat dead shrimp of the same species. This is a double-edged sword if you want to keep your shrimp population up. On one hand, it helps keep the nutrients in the biomass and not in your water. The flip side to that is that you will end up with a decimated shrimp population in short order if you aren't careful with stocking density. I would bet that the Squilla exhibits at least in part the same sort of behaviors. It is definitely equipped to do so.

Tags
hitchhiker

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com