Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
No way the VHO's would have caused that fire they just dont burn hot enough. You can put your hand on a VHO and its hot but still. what kind of canopy did you have them in? Did you have moisture resistant endcaps?

" 'TAP TAP TAP'...Here fishy fishy fishy"
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to astride13
Any pics?

astride13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wondering if the ballasts were the culprit in this case??? Hmmm.

I was looking inside the hood of the reef tank at a local LFS and noticed the 250watt MHs had melted half a foot wide holes in the in the plastic water guards sitting on the tank. The lights were about 10" above the plexi.....No thanks.
wseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
Hey everyone, i know its been a while since i posted, but i was actually the one that was "first on the scene" of the fire. Earlier in the day we noticed one of our 4' actinics was out so we took the bulb off and realized that a wirewas loose. We hooked the wire back up but the light still wouldn't work. A couple of hours later the hood was on fire. The plastic fitting was completely melted as were most of the wires in the hood. While replacing the wiring we nudged one of the VHO's and it just snapped right into a million little pieces. The fire must have weakened the bulb to the point that a little bit of pressure was just too much. I will try to take some pictures this afternoon and post them up here. The ballasts we're using are just regular old GE ballasts; nothing that is specifically designed for aquariums.

There is a center support in the middle of the tank, but it is glass so the light should pass right through. We're not too worried about shadows in the tank. The new hood should we awesome, its unfortunate that the old hood has to burn though.

Thats all for now. We'll keep you updated.

"Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" -Powdered Toast Man

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

fire, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com