Hey everyone, i know its been a while since i posted, but i was actually the one that was "first on the scene" of the fire. Earlier in the day we noticed one of our 4' actinics was out so we took the bulb off and realized that a wirewas loose. We hooked the wire back up but the light still wouldn't work. A couple of hours later the hood was on fire. The plastic fitting was completely melted as were most of the wires in the hood. While replacing the wiring we nudged one of the VHO
's and it just snapped right into a million little pieces. The fire must have weakened the bulb to the point that a little bit of pressure was just too much. I will try to take some pictures this afternoon and post them up here. The ballasts we're using are just regular old GE ballasts; nothing that is specifically designed for aquariums.
There is a center support in the middle of the tank, but it is glass so the light should pass right through. We're not too worried about shadows in the tank. The new hood should we awesome, its unfortunate that the old hood has to burn though.
Thats all for now. We'll keep you updated.