Outdoor saltwater pond??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Totally talking(writing) out loud here with no research whatsoever. Sitting outside looking at my small (man made) pond and wondering if there is any way to convert to a saltwater with saltwater fish?? Would definitely have to put in a heater for winter. What about all the external, out of my control, factors that could fly/rain in??? Is it just impossible or could I actually pull something like that off? I'd have to evacuate the giant bull frog that has set up shop in there. Probably not possible but a neat thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a really cool idea but there would be too many variables to control probably lol

If it were possible though, I'd die to have one.
Maybe it'd need only fish and inverts from tidal/brackish regions so they can tolerate the swings in fresh and salt water.

29g Community

10g Betta

I would build it inside a green house, get rid of some of the uncontrollable factors. It takes away some of the strictly outside of a pond but at least this way you wouldn't have to worry about runoff an excess pollution

Ok, so impossible for me then. It's already a small built in pond, maybe 100-130 gallons. I was thinking, can I just start adding reef salt? Ha! Wishful dreaming :)

Ok, so impossible for me then. It's already a small built in pond, maybe 100-130 gallons. I was thinking, can I just start adding reef salt? Ha! Wishful dreaming :)

An indoor saltwater pond would be more feasible.

Open system (ie salt water from natural source pumped in )is doable

Anything else in my opinion would be more trouble than it's worth

Open system (ie salt water from natural source pumped in )is doable

Anything else in my opinion would be more trouble than it's worth

The only problen with that is its illegal to return used water to the ocean almost everywhere.

The aquarium near me uses only water from the ocean. At like 3:00 you can see all of the pumps turn on and there a simultaneous natural sea water change on all of the tanks. They said it is bother for the health of the coral and the fish. And the systems are never static because of the constant addition and subtraction of hitchhikers. It's a very cool aquarium.

29g Community

10g Betta

The aquarium near me uses only water from the ocean. At like 3:00 you can see all of the pumps turn on and there a simultaneous natural sea water change on all of the tanks. They said it is bother for the health of the coral and the fish. And the systems are never static because of the constant addition and subtraction of hitchhikers. It's a very cool aquarium.

29g Community

10g Betta
Yeah, its neat that they are avle to do that, but it really puts a damper on what we get inland :( too expensive for the massive tanks when you cant just pump the water.

Anyone mention brackish fish?
They would stand the best chance with all the elements and flucations.
Mono sebae are still one of my favorite fish.

Have you seen the water treatment plant the Monterey Aquarium uses to get permission to return their water to the bay? It's impressive.

A SW pond is a cool idea, but impractical inland. It would also be difficult to observe your live stock.

Greg I used to dive to clean the intakes for the NY Aquarium in Coney Island and they were sever hundred yards from shore. After that the water went thru several huge vats of sand to filter it. It was a 50 or 60 year old system when I was there 20 years ago. Pretty cool operation

Last edited by a moderator:
The intake is one thing. That's just a long pipe. But treating the outflow to meet California standards is another thing. I applaud California in this specific instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom