Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Outdoor SW pond

How hard would it be to create an outdoors (backyard) saltwater pond?
I'm assuming this would be very hard because whenever it rains, it would decrease the salinity of water and when the water evaporates in the sun it would increase the salinity of the water. How could this problem be fixed? Just add FW when it evaporates and put some extra salt in when it rans?

Just wondering how hard this would be/ practical it would be. This a stupid idea?

Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
This a stupid idea?
I dont know about stupid, but it seems like it would be monumentally difficult.

Fish - (4) Rosy Tetras, (5) Zebra Danios, (4) Platies, (3) Rainbows, (5) Albino Cories, (2) Ottos

Plants - Micro Swords, (2) Rotala, (2) Camboba

Light - 40w (~1.1 wpg)

CO2 - DIY generator with Hagen diffusor
imahawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Really, not even worth considering. You usually see a question like this about once a month (usually it's a swimming pool). Can you imagine the algae problems you would probably have, maintaining temperature, etc...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suppose it could be possible, but expensive depending on the size of SW pond you are thinking about. As far as top off, that would be difficult trying to use RO/DI water versus tap to maintain balance, pH, and SG.
Also, depending on the size, LR would be a fortune for bio diversity. Plus, you would need some huge outdoor pumps, and a huge chiller/heater combination to maintain consistency.

What's stupid? Putting a shark tank in the back of a hummer for viewing pleasures. I can't remember who it was, but it was a rapper.

It's not a stupid idea..I think we have all thought about this from one time to another. If I had the money, energy, and time, I would consider doing a small pool for one. I'm sure someone out there has done this before. Whether it was successful or not, I don't know.

Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

SeaWorld does it...
Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would hate to foot that bill. 8O

Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_a_wickstrom
SeaWorld does it...
Suuuuure they do. And with a Seaworld budget too.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Ah. I have revised my idea now .

How but an outdoor pond underneath an overhang? Like next the house so that no rain water would get in it, and I could install a lighting system above it without the sunlight.

The only problem then would be maintaining temperature right? And of course always the $$ issue but that can be fixed .
Old 11-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
That would be a better deal. Also heating the thing wouldnt be that bad of a problem. You could get a huge RO/DI unit and setup an auto top off system.

Honestly, I don't thing it would be very tough to do at all. The only hard part would be the cost.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, there's the evaporation issue with such a large surface compared to the depth. Then there's contamination (rain, dirt, dust, CATS), then there's lighting, circulation, water changes and oh yeah, the MONEY AND TIME involved might be something.

Honestly, you're talking about a small staff of people and a large, running budget. Other than that you're good!

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com