Outdoor SW pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
How hard would it be to create an outdoors (backyard) saltwater pond?
I'm assuming this would be very hard because whenever it rains, it would decrease the salinity of water and when the water evaporates in the sun it would increase the salinity of the water. How could this problem be fixed? Just add FW when it evaporates and put some extra salt in when it rans?

Just wondering how hard this would be/ practical it would be. This a stupid idea?

Really, not even worth considering. You usually see a question like this about once a month (usually it's a swimming pool). Can you imagine the algae problems you would probably have, maintaining temperature, etc...

I suppose it could be possible, but expensive depending on the size of SW pond you are thinking about. As far as top off, that would be difficult trying to use RO/DI water versus tap to maintain balance, pH, and SG.
Also, depending on the size, LR would be a fortune for bio diversity. Plus, you would need some huge outdoor pumps, and a huge chiller/heater combination to maintain consistency.

What's stupid? Putting a shark tank in the back of a hummer for viewing pleasures. I can't remember who it was, but it was a rapper.

It's not a stupid idea..I think we have all thought about this from one time to another. If I had the money, energy, and time, I would consider doing a small pool for one. I'm sure someone out there has done this before. Whether it was successful or not, I don't know.

Mike

Ah. I have revised my idea now :) .

How but an outdoor pond underneath an overhang? Like next the house so that no rain water would get in it, and I could install a lighting system above it without the sunlight.

The only problem then would be maintaining temperature right? And of course always the $$ issue but that can be fixed :lol: .

That would be a better deal. Also heating the thing wouldnt be that bad of a problem. You could get a huge RO/DI unit and setup an auto top off system.

Honestly, I don't thing it would be very tough to do at all. The only hard part would be the cost.

Well, there's the evaporation issue with such a large surface compared to the depth. Then there's contamination (rain, dirt, dust, CATS), then there's lighting, circulation, water changes and oh yeah, the MONEY AND TIME involved might be something.

Honestly, you're talking about a small staff of people and a large, running budget. Other than that you're good! :wink:

The most enjoyable part of SW is watching the fish swim, looking at the corals in all their beauty, etc. Apart from a clam tank, I'm not sure what the appeal to looking down at the tank would be. Maybe having it big enough that I could scuba in?

Salttanker said:
What's stupid? Putting a shark tank in the back of a hummer for viewing pleasures. I can't remember who it was, but it was a rapper.

It was Wyclef Jean and I hope it was only for a short time for his "special occasions" and they were like 6" long! It would be very mean to put any large shark is such a small space.
http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=1800013

runway1 said:
Well, there's the evaporation issue with such a large surface compared to the depth. Then there's contamination (rain, dirt, dust, CATS), then there's lighting, circulation, water changes and oh yeah, the MONEY AND TIME involved might be something.

Well it would be underneath an extension of the roof of the house so that removes the rain problem and cuts down on the dirt/dust. The cat problem could be solved by a cheap bb gun :twisted: .

And as Phyl said what would the enjoyment be looking down on it, if (when) I have enough money to make this I'd probably use a preformed pond and cut it in ~half (must be really straight down...) and seal one of the sides to a piece of glass so that it could be seen from the side and from above.

Concur with Phyl....What is the appeal? Unless this were elevated or had an excavated viewing area (basement widow) I am not sure what the appeal wopuld be especially with the amount of maintenance and cost involved.

Lance M. said:
And as Phyl said what would the enjoyment be looking down on it, if (when) I have enough money to make this I'd probably use a preformed pond and cut it in ~half (must be really straight down...) and seal one of the sides to a piece of glass so that it could be seen from the side and from above.

Did you read that?

My local LFS has an indoor saltwater pond and it is fairly interesting to look down into. I think the key is that you would have to stock fish that swim higher in the water column than the typical "reef" fish that stick right around the reef structure. I don't believe cutting a preformed and attaching a viewing pane would be possible, the water pressure you are speaking of for even a very small pond would likely not be held with this idea.

The costs for the build are really not that absurd though, nor would maintenance require a team of biologists for a modest pond. Here is a link to some plans, granted it is designed for indoor use but it gives you an idea:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/pondDIYCalfo/diy-pond.htm

Circulation would be handled by a large external pump, start gearing towards swimming pool pumps (3/4hp, 1hp, etc.). Lighting would be free natural sunlight. Base rock for the bulk of any structures. I think the "idea killer" for you though would be the fact that you live in SC. The winters still achieve pretty cold weather there, and heating it to maintain tropical temps would probably cost too much to make it feasible.

Back
Top Bottom