Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-04-2004, 10:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have many local fish stores in my area. the reason for this is most of the people that live in my area have 6 figure sallarys. The lfs take advantage of this not by raising prices, but selling lots of saltwater fish and less and less of freshwater. The workers at the stores are very educated in the fish department. I watched a man walk in to the store planning on a 10 gallon saltwater and after talking to the manager he walked out with a 75! the difference in price was nothing to him. He also said he would go home and order some lr. As he was leaving he said he would be back for some fish in a mounth of so. After watching this th lfs gained alot of respect from me. Sorry if my thoughts are a little bit out of order

first-timer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
IMO that was a very bad movie for the Moorish Idols sure it was cute but it made everyone believe well it cant be too hard to keep. And when you go into a LFS that sells them obviously he's not going to tell you that you cant keep it alive because than hes just losing money so he sells you the fish and off you go later to find out that the fish indeed needs special requirements and is not for any begginner

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe you can suggest the carry Heni Butterfly's instead. They are close and much easier to keep.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
They regulary have the Heni Butterflys in stock. I dont know what the basis of ordering fish is on there side but I wish they would understand that the moorish idol should not be carried unless its a special order like stated before
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I work in a LFS and we have carried alot of fish that i myself personally would not choose to order. Ordering isn't my job, but the people that do the ordering seem to like to order alot of coral eating butterflies and such. It really aggravates me when i see a pakistani butterfly in a 20L eating polyps and anthelia knowing that when someone does take him home, will not want them eating their corals, or rather they not have corals and starve to death and then come back wondering why they didn't eat. I get alot of people to come to me and say "they didn't tell me...". I really urge most customers to either read books, or come to this site in particular just because of the wealth of info on things. Thankfully we've never had a moorish idol, but on the other hand i've seen alot of freshwater fish handled in similar fashion like 10 discus the size of your palm in a 20H crammed with plants. Money is truly a deciding factor in their minds.
Berzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
There are some pro's and con's IMO about the movie, "Finding Nemo".

Of course we know the con's, but one good thing that came from it was that it made my family want a sw tank. It was really what put us over the edge, and made us decide to get one. Sound Trivial? Yes, but I am so glad we did.

There are a few good things to come from the movie, but I am sure the bad way out weighs the good. At least you have me now!
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Yeah, I have to say that I wouldn't be into SW if it weren't for that movie. My wife is on board, and without that, i'd be tankless....
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus
So...we have a movie to thank for bringing Rev and Jaiden. You might as well toss me in there as well (I had to do a lot of talking to convince wife that SW was a little out of reach at the time). Although...that doesn't mean we're planning one....
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was sort of brought in by the movie as well. i worked in a retail chain pet store selling FW fish and got roped into seeing the movie by my gf. After that i wanted to start my first tank and decided i'd have to be a moron to screw up a FW tank so i went straight to SW FO and now onto corals. IMO, regardless of whether a movie has brought people to a hobby, there will no doubt be countless people who will care more about being into whats cool at the moment and not about what the real issue is at hand. i was just thinking in my head "you wouldn't have a dog without knowing what to feed it and what shots and stuff you need" and then i remembered the animal cops show on animal planet and realized that for every 1 person doing it right there will always be 5 doing it wrong and think they are right and another 5 that will have never had a clue.
Berzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
It's not Pixars fault that this has happened really. They simply chose fish they felt would be both beautiful, and bring lots of character to the big screen. The Moorish Idol is definatly a beautiful fish full of character. They were not expecting the huge fish craze that came about because of that movie, and I doubted that they really knew that a fish like the moorish Idol would be both easy to get and difficult to keep alive. (Sure I may just be defending them because I am a 3-D artist and to me, Pixar animation studios is like Mecca.)

Anyways, Local Fish Stores need to take it upon themselves to refuse to order moorish Idols. Instead, they should stock Heni Butterflies and offer that as an alternative. The vast majority of people would welcome their honesty and the care they have for fish.

While I am at it, I think that Mandrins should only be available on a special order basis. This would keep alot of impulse buyers and un-informed hobbiest from making a big mistake.

...by the way, I have been planning a SW Tank for years, but my girlfriend only allowed me to get one after seeing the movie.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com