Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
OUTRAGED by LFS

We all know how hard it is to keep Moorish Idols and anyone who has ever tried ends up having it die and is saddened by the fact. Well I went looking for a flame angel today and what I saw aggrivated me greatly. A 20 long tank with about 8 Moorish Idols in it all being sold for $29.99 They all looked beat up 3 were on the bottom dead and 2 that were alive had cloudy eye. I asked when they had gotten them in and them told me last night so in one night 3 had not made it and the other 8 looked as if they were on there way out as well WHY DONT LFS UNDERSTAND MOORISH IDOLS SHOULD BE KEPT IN THE OCEAN AND NOT SOUGHT AFTER sorry but just blowing off some steam.

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very sad How is the LFS otherwise? Even if they are know for giving good advice and having educated staff, they loose some credability with situations like this.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as there are people that want them, they'll keep collecting them.

Kim
Old 12-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The LFS is the only one I swear by in my area. They have very knowledgeable staff and i'm there so often that I've become close with most of the employees but after seeing that im very dissapointed.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

did you ask they why the get them in? Curious as to their reply.

Jim
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I went back today to pick something up they had ordered for me to find only 3 left. I found out from a person I know from being there so much many of them died last night. The reason for them getting them was people were asking or them.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I believe in a approaching the owner of the LFS and explaining why you as a customer are less likely to do business with them. Be very polite and offer sources of information where the LFS can educate themselves on fish not to buy or sale. AMDA is a great place for the LFS to start educating themselves.
http://www.amdareef.com/ecolist_main.htm
Old 12-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its like that everywhere I have kept reptiles not to long ago and the pet stores are the same way with snakes as they are with fish like selling a 2' long burmese to a kid when they know the snake will reach 10' in a year. They are not looking to create peace and tranquility for the animals they sell. They are looking to make a buck. And trust me when they buy these fish wholesale they are guaranteed so wether they die or not the LFS gets replacements. They generaly care about the hobby but all they usually see in their tanks is little dollar bills swimming around not fish.

20 Gallon Long, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Carpet Anemone, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 20 LBS of LS and about 6 LBS of LR.

Marineland Millenium HOB Filter.
Marineland Seaclone 100 Skimmer.
Powersweep PH
2 10,000k HO
2 Actinic HO
gozetec02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am sorry to hear your experience. I worked in many a couple of pet stores, but I have a couple of tips for you. We often want to make aquarium indiustry self regulate, but that is not likely to happen. The market forces are simply not there. Bringing in morish idols, which live in large schools is almost rediculously cheap. That is why we should involve authorities. I say this with a heavy heart, because I fear that the change of laws is very slow and that is bad should the husbandry capabilities change. With that siad, it is very unlikely that legislation will change about us, but, you can call your local authorities, and have them come over for inspection. In most states (definatly Illinois), the state is obligated to investigate if anybody complains about animals mistreatment (I store that I was in got in trouble because some people that were buying beta's were using them for fighting, without our knowledge). That way, they will get a little scared about bringing in fish that cannot be kept. You might be able to do something about your aquatic friends that way.

However, as an aside, it is possible to keep Morish Idols. They require a sponge heavy diet and several other accomidations, but I have kept one successfully for 5 years, until I gave it to a friend for her tank. That was 2 years ago, and he is still doing well, because she is following my precise instructions. They are still very delicate, and out of the realm of posibility for all but the most experienced hobbyists, and I agree that they should not be imported, except for special orders.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Re: OUTRAGED by LFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNLuc
WHY DONT LFS UNDERSTAND MOORISH IDOLS SHOULD BE KEPT IN THE OCEAN AND NOT SOUGHT AFTER
If that's what that fish was in Finding Nemo, there's your answer. It looks like it. But that is another one of my peeves (that percs are now mostly known as Nemos because of the movie...)

But I digress...

-j

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com