Over flow advise please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
My over flow in my new tank seems noisey. Ok heres what i got a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Mag12 return pump. Attached to a spray bar for curculation. When water reaches overflow height it goes down to the sump. But its noisey when it goes down the pipe.Any idea how i can make it quieter. Thanks Duane

could be your overflow is running too slow, too fast or is just noisey in design ;)

a>try putting a sponge on the drain pipe
b>try feeding a piece of airline into the drain pipe until the noise lessens
c>do a google search for 'durso standpipe'

hope this helps

I do reccommend the Durso standpipe, I just installed it in my 75 gal tank and it is amazing how much quieter it is now. My overflow used to drop 4" and it was annoyingly loud, now it is a whisper. The best $35.00 I spent, as I had him mail me the unit.

over flow

Thanks guys , Well i got a hold of him he doesent make one for my type of setup. I'll have to try some of the other sugestions.

what kind of set up? you can make your own durso stand pipe for like $4. All you need is some pvc, 1 PVC 90 degree joint, 1 PVC T joint, and 1 PVC endcap.

The parts should go together to look like the jpeg below. One key note to make: you need a "breather" hole in the top of the standpipe, to keep it from draining too fast. The most convenient way to do this is the following:

1.) put the endcap on the top end of the standpipe (before adding it to the tank, of course)
2.) Drill a hole through 1 side of the cap and pipe (you can drill them seperately if you wish, just make sure the holes match up when the endcap is on)
3.) Install the standpipe into the bulkhead (I used a little silicon on mine instead of pipe cement, so it can easily be taken out and replaced, or worked on. It does not, has not, ever leaked)
4.) To adjust how fast the water drains, simply twist the cap to make the hole smaller, or larger.

Thanks, it has a 2 inch bulkhead drilled in back of tank. I stuck a piece of filter foam in there that did help. ( I stuck it in the end of the overflow) Thanks for the advise Duane

Back
Top Bottom