Over Skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys i am wondering if i am over skimming i have been trying to rase my Ca levels for some time, its staying at about a 300 at best i want it at 450 where it use to be, i am wondering if the skimmer is just dooing to much
I have a aqua c (remora) (tank size is 75gal) and i am useing a slighly large pump then the recommended.

how can i set this skimmer to be less agressive at skimming. (admitidy i have only had the skimmer 3 weeks and every day i have to wash the cup its pulling out so much)

How often are you doing PWC`s? I dont believe your skimmer has anything to do with your calcium. I just do weekly PWC`s and my calcium stays at 450. Even with a large load of corals. They do have supplements for calcium but try PWC`s first

your skimmer does not affect calcium levels. If you are getting that much skimmate, it might be too much junk in your water and you need to deal with that first anyway.

What everyone has said is very true. Skimming has nothing to do with calcium but we do need to know about your water changes. If you have so many corals in there that they drain the Ca inless than a week you need to dose or add a calcium reactor.

Check your mg levels. They should be roughly 3 times your ca level. Depleted mg is a common reason for being unable to maintain higher levels of ca. If your looking for 400 ca, then your mg should run 1200ppm. As previously stated, and I concur, skimming most likely not your culprit.

Peace.

As already said overskimming is kind of like taking too long of a shower, neither one hurts, just gets you slightly cleaner.

There are numerous articles on the net that falsely contribute lower ph/sg/alk/ca/mg/ect… to skimming.

Skimmers remove waste by attaching to the air bubbles and ca along with the above mentioned properties isn’t dense enough to attach to the small bubbles to the point of affecting levels.

Ca is affected by alk, & mg and have to be in balance or you will experience a crash in ca or vice versa.

advancedaquarist.com has great articles on calcium and general chemistry in your aquarium. IMO, before you start making a lot of adjustments to your dosing and dosing things you may not need to, read up on calcium, alkalinity and the balance these two things need to rise to proper levels

What is Alkalinity?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

Calcium in the Aquarium:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/3/chemistry

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Personally I just use C-Balance to keep my alk/ca levels where they need to be if they drop.

Hope this helps

PC hit the nail on the head: magnesium deficiency.

tecwzrd's words of advice should be heeded as well! (Not that everyone else did not also make valid points as well!)

Back
Top Bottom