Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Over Skimming

Guys i am wondering if i am over skimming i have been trying to rase my Ca levels for some time, its staying at about a 300 at best i want it at 450 where it use to be, i am wondering if the skimmer is just dooing to much
I have a aqua c (remora) (tank size is 75gal) and i am useing a slighly large pump then the recommended.

how can i set this skimmer to be less agressive at skimming. (admitidy i have only had the skimmer 3 weeks and every day i have to wash the cup its pulling out so much)

2revup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
How often are you doing PWC`s? I dont believe your skimmer has anything to do with your calcium. I just do weekly PWC`s and my calcium stays at 450. Even with a large load of corals. They do have supplements for calcium but try PWC`s first

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
your skimmer does not affect calcium levels. If you are getting that much skimmate, it might be too much junk in your water and you need to deal with that first anyway.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
What everyone has said is very true. Skimming has nothing to do with calcium but we do need to know about your water changes. If you have so many corals in there that they drain the Ca inless than a week you need to dose or add a calcium reactor.
angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
What kind of salt are you using?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check your mg levels. They should be roughly 3 times your ca level. Depleted mg is a common reason for being unable to maintain higher levels of ca. If your looking for 400 ca, then your mg should run 1200ppm. As previously stated, and I concur, skimming most likely not your culprit.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
As already said overskimming is kind of like taking too long of a shower, neither one hurts, just gets you slightly cleaner.

There are numerous articles on the net that falsely contribute lower ph/sg/alk/ca/mg/ect… to skimming.

Skimmers remove waste by attaching to the air bubbles and ca along with the above mentioned properties isn’t dense enough to attach to the small bubbles to the point of affecting levels.

Ca is affected by alk, & mg and have to be in balance or you will experience a crash in ca or vice versa.

advancedaquarist.com has great articles on calcium and general chemistry in your aquarium. IMO, before you start making a lot of adjustments to your dosing and dosing things you may not need to, read up on calcium, alkalinity and the balance these two things need to rise to proper levels

What is Alkalinity?

Calcium in the Aquarium:

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems

Personally I just use C-Balance to keep my alk/ca levels where they need to be if they drop.

Hope this helps

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
PC hit the nail on the head: magnesium deficiency.

tecwzrd's words of advice should be heeded as well! (Not that everyone else did not also make valid points as well!)

Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com