Over the hills and far away....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ploughking

Aquarium Advice Activist
... teletubbies come out to play. Yeah right. But this seems slightly far away -
My goldies are moving to ponds and my black moor is going to a caring home. I am deciding what to do with the empty tank - and the decision finally came to perhaps going to marine tanks. Is this a wise decision - or am I nuts? The idea originally was LRO - a reef. Or is the tank too small? I'm just a noob - I only know about FW tropical. Any help here? Or suggestions for other tank uses?

Haha, speaking of teletubbies did you ever notice that the default background for windows XP looks alot like the background scenery for the teletubbies show? With the hills and all.

Ok back to reality...

Well im guessing your talking about a 17 gal tank based on your sig? If so I would give you the warning that its a bit smaller than I would suggest for one starting out with saltwater. The reason is clearly a larger water volume would equate out to more stable water conditions. With a small tank like that expect to have to top off the tank every other day if not every day. Also be aware that your realistic stocking capacity will be something like 2-3 small fish. Small would equate out to 1 - 1.5" max size. Most definatly not the number of fish that you list in the tanks now.

With that said its not impossible to do. If your dedicated and are prepaired to put forward the work that a smaller tank will require on a daily or every other day basis you can have a very sucessful tank.

Teletubbs

Yes, noticed that... "Time for tubby bye bye! Time for tubby bye bye!" Back to the 'real' world -

Thanks for the advice, I'm prepared to put lots of money into this. The goldfish were today succesfully transferred to a pond and the black moor is going to a good home. Ever since I was young I had always wanted a marine tank. In fact, The idea of getting one filled me with weird excitement. The tank is soon going to be uninhabited and I am making quite a hard choice here. I have three options -
1. Get this weird albino newt thingy,
2. Turn to another tropical tank, or
3. Make the 17 gal to marine.
I have a feeling if I go with marine, I may have a future with a bigger tank. Much bigger, 4 foot one. When we clear some space downstairs. :d :d :D

Back
Top Bottom