Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Couldn't you just make an overflow by putting a PVC pipe in the tank, drill a hole an inch under the water line. Use to L adapters and run down to the sump? If not, why wouldn't it work.

You would have to match the flow from the siphon and return perfectly and then any obstructions would clog it and over fill the tank the over flow box keeps the water at a consistent level

You would have to match the flow from the siphon and return perfectly and then any obstructions would clog it and over fill the tank the over flow box keeps the water at a consistent level

+1 ...you could always build one from acrylic but it would probably end up costing just as much as buying one

i am a little confused on the return pump. For example, i found an overflow on ebay that states it has 2, 1in, overflows. How do i find a pump that will return it. Basically i have no idea how to chose a return pump.

My LFS told me the more the pump pushes out, the more it will suck from the overflow, but obviously that does not make sense.

The gph of the pump will dictate the overflow gph and if the overflow is not built to handle that it will cause problems (flood or running the pump dry) the best way to go is drill the tank.

if the over flow is rated for 300 gph you would want to get a pump rated for example over 600gph because with the head height of the return it will take away gph while pushing the water up.....also you would want ball valves on the inline and return line to custom tailor the water going down and the water being pump up....you want it to be even 300gph going down and 300gph going up same time.....me personally i bought the rio 1700 for return pump and had to tweet it with the ball valve as it was pushing to much water up

if the over flow is rated for 300 gph you would want to get a pump rated for example over 600gph because with the head height of the return it will take away gph while pushing the water up.....also you would want ball valves on the inline and return line to custom tailor the water going down and the water being pump up....you want it to be even 300gph going down and 300gph going up same time.....me personally i bought the rio 1700 for return pump and had to tweet it with the ball valve as it was pushing to much water up

so i am looking at the DIY PVC Overflow now. Making it 1inch. looks like thats 345gph. I should put a ball valve on that? also, if i get a pump rated in between 600-700gph, can i put a ball valve on the return line? i would think that would back up the pump and put stress on it.

The gph of the pump will dictate the overflow gph and if the overflow is not built to handle that it will cause problems (flood or running the pump dry) the best way to go is drill the tank.
I would drill that tank, however i am in the middle of a cycle i don't want to miss, my friend has fish and is moving, giving me his antenna lion and Fiji puffer for free. got exactly 1 month to cycle this bad boy! but that's a different thread. :)

so i am looking at the DIY PVC Overflow now. Making it 1inch. looks like thats 345gph. I should put a ball valve on that? also, if i get a pump rated in between 600-700gph, can i put a ball valve on the return line? i would think that would back up the pump and put stress on it.

when a pump pushes water up that is also stress if you want to call it that....using a ball valve is the same thing....im only talking about tweaking it just a tad bit nothing extreme for instance .....my overflow is 300gph and my head height was 4ft...but at 4ft my pump would pump 321gph...so adjusting the ball valve a little will keep it form pumping too much water into tank and cause a flood.....i have them on both the overflow line and the return .....you want to also tune your overflow if it is too loud and i did just a little and mines now almost silent....the sounds of rushing water can be very loud sometimes....so these valves def are handy

this makes sense! is there a chart that breaks down how much water pressure you loose based on the height of your system? A DIY aquarium overflow system just seems a lot more cost affective to achieve the same results.

this makes sense! is there a chart that breaks down how much water pressure you loose based on the height of your system? A DIY aquarium overflow system just seems a lot more cost affective to achieve the same results.

yup when you buy your pump should show you on the back of the box....and yeah there should be plenty of designs online for you too look at....if you look on youtube check DIY overflow box....they built it out of a large and small specimen container....exact same design as the eshopps overflow

Readingexcalibur said:
if i decide to do PVC on the overflow. should i use pvc glue or tank silicone to hold it together?

Get the PVC sealant kit it's come with a purple primer and the glue ....you first prime the area your going glue with the purple PVC primer then wait 30 sec then put glue over that and put your PVC pieces together

Back
Top Bottom