Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Overflow

Couldn't you just make an overflow by putting a PVC pipe in the tank, drill a hole an inch under the water line. Use to L adapters and run down to the sump? If not, why wouldn't it work.
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
You would have to match the flow from the siphon and return perfectly and then any obstructions would clog it and over fill the tank the over flow box keeps the water at a consistent level
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Reefpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
You would have to match the flow from the siphon and return perfectly and then any obstructions would clog it and over fill the tank the over flow box keeps the water at a consistent level
+1 ...you could always build one from acrylic but it would probably end up costing just as much as buying one
__________________
Peter

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
i am a little confused on the return pump. For example, i found an overflow on ebay that states it has 2, 1in, overflows. How do i find a pump that will return it. Basically i have no idea how to chose a return pump.

My LFS told me the more the pump pushes out, the more it will suck from the overflow, but obviously that does not make sense.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
The gph of the pump will dictate the overflow gph and if the overflow is not built to handle that it will cause problems (flood or running the pump dry) the best way to go is drill the tank.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Reefpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 583
if the over flow is rated for 300 gph you would want to get a pump rated for example over 600gph because with the head height of the return it will take away gph while pushing the water up.....also you would want ball valves on the inline and return line to custom tailor the water going down and the water being pump up....you want it to be even 300gph going down and 300gph going up same time.....me personally i bought the rio 1700 for return pump and had to tweet it with the ball valve as it was pushing to much water up
__________________
Peter

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpete View Post
if the over flow is rated for 300 gph you would want to get a pump rated for example over 600gph because with the head height of the return it will take away gph while pushing the water up.....also you would want ball valves on the inline and return line to custom tailor the water going down and the water being pump up....you want it to be even 300gph going down and 300gph going up same time.....me personally i bought the rio 1700 for return pump and had to tweet it with the ball valve as it was pushing to much water up
so i am looking at the DIY PVC Overflow now. Making it 1inch. looks like thats 345gph. I should put a ball valve on that? also, if i get a pump rated in between 600-700gph, can i put a ball valve on the return line? i would think that would back up the pump and put stress on it.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
The gph of the pump will dictate the overflow gph and if the overflow is not built to handle that it will cause problems (flood or running the pump dry) the best way to go is drill the tank.
I would drill that tank, however i am in the middle of a cycle i don't want to miss, my friend has fish and is moving, giving me his antenna lion and Fiji puffer for free. got exactly 1 month to cycle this bad boy! but that's a different thread.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Reefpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur View Post
so i am looking at the DIY PVC Overflow now. Making it 1inch. looks like thats 345gph. I should put a ball valve on that? also, if i get a pump rated in between 600-700gph, can i put a ball valve on the return line? i would think that would back up the pump and put stress on it.
when a pump pushes water up that is also stress if you want to call it that....using a ball valve is the same thing....im only talking about tweaking it just a tad bit nothing extreme for instance .....my overflow is 300gph and my head height was 4ft...but at 4ft my pump would pump 321gph...so adjusting the ball valve a little will keep it form pumping too much water into tank and cause a flood.....i have them on both the overflow line and the return .....you want to also tune your overflow if it is too loud and i did just a little and mines now almost silent....the sounds of rushing water can be very loud sometimes....so these valves def are handy
__________________
Peter

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
this makes sense! is there a chart that breaks down how much water pressure you loose based on the height of your system? A DIY aquarium overflow system just seems a lot more cost affective to achieve the same results.
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.