Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo View Post
My lfs said those were bad cause the Aqualifters stop working or get clogged....

My aqua lifters are years old. They only clog from algae growth, but using black tubing stops that. I have one black and one clear that still needs replaced yet. Love those things. And if it died, they are 15 bucks to replace. Hardly the most expensive replacement on any reef tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by Beej1254 View Post
I've never used an overflow box before but ive got a DIY PVC overflow. It's very low profile and ultra quiet, it doesn't disturb us at all in the living room. It's cheap and easy to setup and as long as you setup he overflow and the sump properly you won't have to worry about flooding if either the overflow or return pump fail.

Where most people have issues is that they don't leave enough room in either the DT or Sump to hold extra water should something fail. In my setup I have 10gallons of room to work with in the sump. Which may not seem like a lot but there isn't any possibility that my overflow would allow more water to drain if the return stopped working.

Edit: and to add another detail which was mentioned above. Your return line placement and fail safes are important as well to prevent back siphon. Which is easy enough...I know people use siphon break wholes but I think they are risky. I prefer to place my return (which is all PVC) just above the waterline with elbows. This way no water can back siphon because it never has the chance. If in the case your overflow stops working and then your return pump fails because it was running dry/low and the return line was submerged due to your return sump section being empty then water will only back siphon so much thanks to the solid placement of the return line. The other great thing about it is that at a certain point where the water gets low the elbow will naturally start sucking air and break a siphon on its own.

Can we see this DIY?

Needles15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Overflow box help

This is where I got the idea

Hopefully we are aloud to post links to YouTube videos

And this is what it looks like in my tank...far left side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455939370.911165.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	284944

One thing I will say if you decide to go with this design is don't chance it with a suction cup drilled near the bottom of the weir. If that isn't water tight you could have massive problems. I skipped that altogether and never had a problem with it.

Beej1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #14
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I use the Toms over flow boxes , I love them self priming never have to worry about losing siphon even after a power outage best overflow boxes I ever got , they work even better with the Toms lift pumps.
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
7 years on the same tank... i think sir you are owed an upgrade : ) build your own setup for under £500 and put whatever you want on it.. just a thought

garethwood is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, overflow, overflow box

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com