Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I doubt it if you have ever used such overflow box. Your water will not just go up your tank and down to your sump. Your imagination will not work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
It's always primed. Even when power failure. Like last night. As long as you don't have air bubble buildup there is no issue.

Primed first time with a tube stuck up the back end. Never again.

Post a pic of your overflow so I can see how your CPR box is set up

Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know pretty well that once your overflow box is above water, the siphon will be gone. So every time you loose power or when doing pwc your box will be above water surface. You need to lift that water to start the siphon again.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
You know pretty well that once your overflow box is above water, the siphon will be gone. So every time you loose power or when doing pwc your box will be above water surface. You need to lift that water to start the siphon again.
When you are doing water changes, your water level won't drop below the overflow. The water level will drop in the sump.

I run a CPR overflow on my 55 reef. The aqualifter is a great assist as during the summer months I have many brownouts, causing my return to stop and start all the time. Has really screwed with things and the aqualifter really gives great piece of mind.

However, I use a paperclip to clean out the connections as algae and debris can get in there and gum things up. Nothing really too hard to do, just something I didn't plan for when first setting things up.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im not sure how you do your pwc Mr Hank but a 10% volume removal of your water will surely drop your DT level appreciably and below your overflow box that it will stop siphon. Unless of course if your sump volume has extras of 10%. You can not remove water from sump if you have pods.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

So don't remove the whole 10% at once if it's a problem. I use my ato to refill and it makes it simple.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I ran this overflow box for several years. It incorporates a siphon break in the event of power loss, and features self starting for when power is regained. Other than routine cleaning/maintanance, the siphon break nipple needs to be periodically cleared because it gets clogged with salt creep which will reverse siphon your tank all the way down to the return nozzle. I believe this box is rated at 900 gph. http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquat...FIOFEB-vi.html
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the great tips. I'll get the CPR unit. It seems that people are in doubt of Dav3's self starting siphon with no lifter. He did mention the use of a ball valve mechanism. Maybe it kicks in to seal the intake when water level is lowering. That would be a genius contraption that might eliminate the need for a lifter unit.

Regarding CPR boxes: What would be the drawback in buying the largest capacity overflow model besides the price and aesthetics? I figure the largest unit will be less likely to clog and will need less maintenance.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have a cpr overflow but mine is mechanically identical.

Cpr has an airline nipple on top. Just attach a piece of airline tubing to that with a check valve on the end.

When tank water level drops below intake side of cpr overflow does the intake section drain out? Hole in bottom? If not them there should be no siphon loss.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I doubt it if you have ever used such overflow box. Your water will not just go up your tank and down to your sump. Your imagination will not work.
No, the water level in the overflow box will only drop to the level of the strainer grate on the in-tank portion.
As was pointed out, you would only lose siphon if air were allowed to accumulate in the overflow "tube".
When the power goes out, the overflow should only drain the last section, not the entire thing, and it should maintain siphon. If you raised the black "divider" to a point that it was almost the same level as the last divider, you could lose siphon.
I's the balance between the black adjustable divider and the final section that determines if siphon is lost when the power goes out at least on the CPR model it appears to be how it works.

Look at the pic, you'll see what I mean.

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow box, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com