Overflow box questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I ran a box with the aqua pump I often had problems. It would clog and get algae and I would lose siphon. I would end up with a mouthful of nasty water once I cleaned it.

My 2 cents is use one if you need to but if you have enough flow thru the box you might not need it

I don't see it a assurance I see it as a patch for an imbalance

Dav3 if your overflow box is not a CPR then you may be right that you do not need an aqualifter provided that everything is perfectly adjusted and no leak what so ever. The CPR doesn't work the way yours does. Like I mentioned before the air bubbles in CPR accumalates on top with rectangular inverted U shaped chamber. I can guarantee that there is no way you can remove that air pocket without an aqualifter.

Dav3 is right on the aqua lifter is waste. Properly match pump with overflow siphon will not break. I do large water changes and the overflow box holds water to keep the tube filled. I clean my u tube out and to restart use airline tube in the u tube to start the siphon. Powers been out and when I the do wc I unplug the the pump always restarts. Eshopps makes a good one. Like was said proper pump,overflow and sump design no problems whatsoever. Checkout melevs reef sumps.

Like I mentioned before the air bubbles in CPR accumalates on top with rectangular inverted U shaped chamber. I can guarantee that there is no way you can remove that air pocket without an aqualifter.

I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

CPR overflow box has a different configuration than what Dav3 has. CPR has a surface skimmer which creates bubbles every now and then. Some bubbles can also come from other sources like your power head installed for surface agitation. When power comes back after brown own your return nozzle will also create bubbles when it is above surface. Some HOB skimmer will produce micro bubbles specially just right after a pwc. Any bubble floating that passes though the CPR overflow will get stuck and collected at the top of inverted U shaped chamber since air is lighter.

I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct? Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Exactly. Provided you have enough flow running through your siphon to flush the air bubbles out.

CPR overflow box has a different configuration than what Dav3 has. CPR has a surface skimmer which creates bubbles every now and then. Some bubbles can also come from other sources like your power head installed for surface agitation. When power comes back after brown own your return nozzle will also create bubbles when it is above surface. Some HOB skimmer will produce micro bubbles specially just right after a pwc. Any bubble floating that passes though the CPR overflow will get stuck and collected at the top of inverted U shaped chamber since air is lighter.

My overflow works the same way. I do get bubbles that make their way into the siphon tube. But because I have proper flow through my siphon tube the air bubbles get flushed out and never accumulate.

I probably have more bubbles run through my siphon than you do on a regular basis. with no issue at all. I do air injection into my DT every couple of days.

For reference I have a tidepool overflow. Functionally identical to cpr. Minus the air nipple.

CPR siphon chamber is not in a form of a tube but rather in a rectangular shape. That may be the difference why CPR will not flush out the trapped air bubble.

The cpr siphon chamber is rounded enough at the corners that it "shouldn't" matter provided you have enough flow.

I have no overflow box yet and I find this discussion both informative and entertaining.

This debate can be put to rest easily if Dav3 can video clip his bubble clearing unit on YouTube for all the doubters, novices (like me), and future generations to admire. ;-)

I have no overflow box yet and I find this discussion both informative and entertaining. This debate can be put to rest easily if Dav3 can video clip his bubble clearing unit on YouTube for all the doubters, novices, and future generations to admire. ;-)

The tube is too dark and bubbles passing through too small to see anything important in a video.

I would say that Dav3 is in no position to claim that the CPR would work just like the U-tube overflow because he never had a CPR while I had it for almost 2 years. Here is something to think about. I would agree that the circular shaped overflow has advantage with the rectangular overflow due to the fact that the water flows easily in the perimeter inside the tube thus bubbles can be forced through the other side. While the corners in a rectangular shaped overflow chamber of a CPR creates turbulence and trap the bubbles on both front and rear at the top until they occupy the top area and builds up. You can raise the DT level to increase the flow but it will not help and will not flush that trapped air.

As the OP's question has been answered, thread closed as it has broken down to two separate variations of HOB overflow, both of which work depending on what you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom