Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 160
When I ran a box with the aqua pump I often had problems. It would clog and get algae and I would lose siphon. I would end up with a mouthful of nasty water once I cleaned it.

My 2 cents is use one if you need to but if you have enough flow thru the box you might not need it

I don't see it a assurance I see it as a patch for an imbalance
__________________

__________________
Swicicki is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Dav3 if your overflow box is not a CPR then you may be right that you do not need an aqualifter provided that everything is perfectly adjusted and no leak what so ever. The CPR doesn't work the way yours does. Like I mentioned before the air bubbles in CPR accumalates on top with rectangular inverted U shaped chamber. I can guarantee that there is no way you can remove that air pocket without an aqualifter.
__________________

__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Smoothmullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 71
Overflow box questions

Dav3 is right on the aqua lifter is waste. Properly match pump with overflow siphon will not break. I do large water changes and the overflow box holds water to keep the tube filled. I clean my u tube out and to restart use airline tube in the u tube to start the siphon. Powers been out and when I the do wc I unplug the the pump always restarts. Eshopps makes a good one. Like was said proper pump,overflow and sump design no problems whatsoever. Checkout melevs reef sumps.
__________________
Smoothmullet is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Like I mentioned before the air bubbles in CPR accumalates on top with rectangular inverted U shaped chamber. I can guarantee that there is no way you can remove that air pocket without an aqualifter.
I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct?



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
mattcham is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct?



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
CPR overflow box has a different configuration than what Dav3 has. CPR has a surface skimmer which creates bubbles every now and then. Some bubbles can also come from other sources like your power head installed for surface agitation. When power comes back after brown own your return nozzle will also create bubbles when it is above surface. Some HOB skimmer will produce micro bubbles specially just right after a pwc. Any bubble floating that passes though the CPR overflow will get stuck and collected at the top of inverted U shaped chamber since air is lighter.
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I think Dav3 primes once to remove bubbles, but NEVER need to prime again even after power failure. From my understanding there should be no bubbles even in the event of power failure assuming you properly sealed the airline nipple socket. Is this correct? Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Exactly. Provided you have enough flow running through your siphon to flush the air bubbles out.
__________________
Dav3 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
CPR overflow box has a different configuration than what Dav3 has. CPR has a surface skimmer which creates bubbles every now and then. Some bubbles can also come from other sources like your power head installed for surface agitation. When power comes back after brown own your return nozzle will also create bubbles when it is above surface. Some HOB skimmer will produce micro bubbles specially just right after a pwc. Any bubble floating that passes though the CPR overflow will get stuck and collected at the top of inverted U shaped chamber since air is lighter.
My overflow works the same way. I do get bubbles that make their way into the siphon tube. But because I have proper flow through my siphon tube the air bubbles get flushed out and never accumulate.

I probably have more bubbles run through my siphon than you do on a regular basis. with no issue at all. I do air injection into my DT every couple of days.

For reference I have a tidepool overflow. Functionally identical to cpr. Minus the air nipple.
__________________
Dav3 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
CPR siphon chamber is not in a form of a tube but rather in a rectangular shape. That may be the difference why CPR will not flush out the trapped air bubble.
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dav3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
CPR siphon chamber is not in a form of a tube but rather in a rectangular shape. That may be the difference why CPR will not flush out the trapped air bubble.
It's still a tube.
__________________
Dav3 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
I am referring to the shape of the tube you have which I believe rounded or circular. In CPR I call it chamber to distinguish it from a tube.
__________________

__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow box, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about adding internal overflow box 93MSB General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 11-25-2013 06:29 PM
HOB overflow Box Vs. Internal overflow box FishFrik Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 09-10-2006 12:36 AM
Overflow Box Questions qhrisnd Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 08-29-2005 05:53 PM
Whats the difference between out box and sent box? Melody Forum Admin & Announcements 2 05-31-2005 12:53 PM
Overflow box questions rossmort Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 02-20-2004 06:34 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.