Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Overflow Makes Gurgling Sound

Here's a question I've never seen on this site. I have a 65 gallon tank with an overflow that drains down to a sump filter. The return has a mag pump rated at 750 gallons per hour. My question is this, there is usually a gurgling sound coming from inside the overflow. It sounds much like a bath tub as the water runs out, I imagine it is because the flow going into the overflow is not fast enough to build up the water level inside the overflow, it is simply constantly flowing through the hole, into the sump and being returned. Is this normal or should there be more water building up inside the overflow than is going right down the drain? I do have filters inside the overflow.

JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
My overflow makes the same sound, and from what everyone has told me, it's normal. There are modifications you can make to the pipe in the overflow that are supposed to help with the sound - I'm sure someone here could post a link to it. On mine, we've just thrown a towel over it in the meantime, which helps to dampen the noise.

70g SW
1 percula clownfish
Natterjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Go to google and search Durso and another is Stockman

I have both in my overflow and both work great. If you have a tight space go for the stockman design.

150 gal inwall reef tank, DIY everything except the tank and skimmer, MAG-24 return, 3 1200 Maxi-jets, Turboflotor 1000 Skimmer, 100qt Igloo Cooler sump.

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
There are usually two solutions to this problem.

1. Its the drain sucking air. This is easy to solve. Just put a small hole in the drain to allow the drain to "breathe." that should solve the problem.

2. Its the drain (where the water actually leaves the drain pipe) gurgling. Pretty easy to solve as well. You can get a pvc fitting that has a turn valve on it. The valve should turn from the vertical to the lateral position (fully open to fully closed). If you turn it just a little, it should close off the valve just enough to keep it from gurgling. Thats what I did...working great.

Squishy :P

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, gurgling, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com