Overflow overnoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up a 120 gallon tank with an Oceanic wet/dry that I'll be using as a sump. I have two overflows and a waterpump that drives 1,300 gph. After I filled the tank and started the water pump, the two overflows made a whole lot of noise. It was a loud gurgling sound. I put some foam into the overflow boxes, being careful not to block the outlets from the overflow boxes and one became completely silent but the other is still making that sound and it's loud. My wife watches TV in the room so I guess you know that means I have to solve this. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make the second overflow silent....THANKS

Okay...THANKS a lot, you guys...I went there and found out that I have to use the Stockman method because the tank isn't reef ready and the overflow boxes are external, which is okay. I just need to know whether the plans given at the Durso sight for that which call for 1 inch pvc piping is what I should use since the holes in the bottom of the overflows are 1 1/4" inch. You're getting me where I need to go...Thanks, again

Size up the plumbing to fit your needs.

Another thing you can try is to get some airline tubing and slowly lower it down the overflow drain. At a point the overflow will start to run silent. At that point secure the airline tube to the overflow via a clip or something.

What your doing is basicly providing a vent for the air thats being pulled into the overflow drain.

Thanks for the ideas...the airline tubing didn't seem to make much difference but the Stockman standpipes did get rid of much of the noise....right now there is some "bubbling" sound but no more of that suction kind of noise at all....Does anyone know how to make it silent, though? I've read that gradually increasing the size of the small hole on the endcap on top is sometimes necessary, but I don't know what to look for to determine if they have to be made bigger than the 1/16th of an inch that they are now. Is the "bubbling" sound that I have now, what should be prompting me to make the holes somewhat larger....THANKS again.

Well, after all your good advice, I have these overflows down to a very nice waterflow kind of sound that isn't disturbing at all....one problem still remains, though...It seems that air is slowly collecting somewhere in the "accordian" tubing that goes from the bottom of one of the overflows down to the sump, and every 3 or 4 minutes when that air "bubble" in the tubing gets big enough, it forces its way down to the sump, causing what amounts to a flushing of the overflow box and it sounds like a toilet flushing to boot. The tubing appears to have a continuous angle downward from the bottom of the overflow to the sump....Is there anything anyone can tell me to do that would prevent air from collecting in that tube with the consequent flushing effect??

A smooth tube would not allow a buildup of air. Can you replace the accordian tube with regular tubing?

Back
Top Bottom