Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

RMPD109, have you tested this for an extended amount of time? I understand what you are saying now, just have never tried it out. My impression was that the tank's water level would go below the level of the teeth in the internal basket. At that point, the siphon would continue to flow water from the internal to external basket, yet there would be no backfill of water. Eventually, the internal basket would be dry and the siphon would break. Now, when the power comes back on, there is no way for the siphon to start again, and the pump would return water to the main until there is an overflow. I am very curious to know if the water stays in the U tube, but I don't exactly see how it would.

tripper

Old 02-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I could not see a pic with the attached link but I agree with rlg2182. It uses a channel that runs the complete length of the setup. As long as both ends of the channel stay submerged you wont have any problem. If some air gets in you can do as rob stated and release the air. I would guess that if you checked it once a day and got any accumulatedair out you would not have any problems. Much better to be preventative than to clean up a large spill.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tripper-
You are right, the internal basket will drop until the level in the two baskets are equal. That level should be at the hieght of the overflow tube leading to the sump. I have left my setup off for 30 minutes as I made alterations in my fuge. It has always started up with no problems. My only fear of flooding is if the overflow clogs and the display tank overfills. As I stated in the previous post try to check it regularly and hope there are no clogs (a sponge will help filter some items that can clog it)

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com