Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
overflow problem fixed?

From what I have read the major problem with sumps/fuges is that if there is a power outage or the siphon on the overflow breaks the return pump willl overflow the main tank. If I attach a float switch on the main tank to the power source of the return pump would that prevent me from draining my sump/fuge and overflowing my main tank in the case of a siphon break or power shortage?

I don't know if this has been thought of before (I assume it has) but I couldn't find any info on how to prevent this problem just warnings of it.

Would this work? any comments would help. thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
any other problems with them that I might have overlooked? This has been the only damaging one I have heard of.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A power outage should not have any negative affects on the water level. The only problem is if the siphon is broken you will get flooded. I have my HOB overflow setup and test it regularly for simulated power outages and never had my siphon break. The float swtich would work but sure would be unsightly in the tank.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know if the setup is proper this isn't a real problem but I just want to make sure. I over do things like that. I could hide the float switch in the back corner if I wanted I would take saftey over looks.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

How would the siphon not break if the power were out for more than 2-3 minutes? As soon as the siphon pulls the water level low enough it will have to break because the water level will be below the siphon.

This has been my one concern with my tank as well. I have heard of a small pump that you hook up to your overflow that will restart the siphon, but I have yet to find it online. As soon as I do, I will be purchasing it so I can feel a little better about leaving my house.

tripper
Old 02-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is my idea, when the siphon breaks while the power is out there will no longer be anywhere for excess water to go so when the return pump is restarted your main tank will overflow but if you put a float switch on the return pumps power source It will turn off before the main tank overflows and you can fix things when you get home, the water will just not be circulating for how everlong you are gone.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An overflow has two baskets. One in the tank and one outside. The internal basket will equal itself with the height of the outside basket when power goes out. The outside basket will retain water during power outage because the outflow pipe is about 3 1/2 or 4 inches tall so it will keep water at that level. As long as both sides of the U tube remain submerged the siphon wont wont break in the tube. Once the power returns the pump will fill the internal basket raising its water height. The outside basket will then raise as well starting the water to flow again to the sump/fuge. I hope this makes sense to you as I think I confused myself.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I see but I don't think the one I am getting has a u-tube or does it? here it is:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=CR1513
Old 02-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is a different style... it has no u-tube, but the channel in the middle stays under water. Same concept, but no tube.

Those have the tendency to gather water pockets... so they usually need to be hooked up to the venturi valve of a PH to suck any air that collects in there. Some people think they fail more often than u-tubes, some like them better. Just preference.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it uses a pump. This would eliminate my problem right? because when the power goes back on the overflow pump will start again too. so I wouldn't even need what I am talking about would i?

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com