overflow problem fixed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
From what I have read the major problem with sumps/fuges is that if there is a power outage or the siphon on the overflow breaks the return pump willl overflow the main tank. If I attach a float switch on the main tank to the power source of the return pump would that prevent me from draining my sump/fuge and overflowing my main tank in the case of a siphon break or power shortage?

I don't know if this has been thought of before (I assume it has) but I couldn't find any info on how to prevent this problem just warnings of it.

Would this work? any comments would help. thanks in advance.

any other problems with them that I might have overlooked? This has been the only damaging one I have heard of.

A power outage should not have any negative affects on the water level. The only problem is if the siphon is broken you will get flooded. I have my HOB overflow setup and test it regularly for simulated power outages and never had my siphon break. The float swtich would work but sure would be unsightly in the tank.

I know if the setup is proper this isn't a real problem but I just want to make sure. I over do things like that. I could hide the float switch in the back corner if I wanted I would take saftey over looks.

How would the siphon not break if the power were out for more than 2-3 minutes? As soon as the siphon pulls the water level low enough it will have to break because the water level will be below the siphon.

This has been my one concern with my tank as well. I have heard of a small pump that you hook up to your overflow that will restart the siphon, but I have yet to find it online. As soon as I do, I will be purchasing it so I can feel a little better about leaving my house.

tripper

that is my idea, when the siphon breaks while the power is out there will no longer be anywhere for excess water to go so when the return pump is restarted your main tank will overflow but if you put a float switch on the return pumps power source It will turn off before the main tank overflows and you can fix things when you get home, the water will just not be circulating for how everlong you are gone.

An overflow has two baskets. One in the tank and one outside. The internal basket will equal itself with the height of the outside basket when power goes out. The outside basket will retain water during power outage because the outflow pipe is about 3 1/2 or 4 inches tall so it will keep water at that level. As long as both sides of the U tube remain submerged the siphon wont wont break in the tube. Once the power returns the pump will fill the internal basket raising its water height. The outside basket will then raise as well starting the water to flow again to the sump/fuge. I hope this makes sense to you as I think I confused myself.

That is a different style... it has no u-tube, but the channel in the middle stays under water. Same concept, but no tube.

Those have the tendency to gather water pockets... so they usually need to be hooked up to the venturi valve of a PH to suck any air that collects in there. Some people think they fail more often than u-tubes, some like them better. Just preference.

I think it uses a pump. This would eliminate my problem right? because when the power goes back on the overflow pump will start again too. so I wouldn't even need what I am talking about would i?

RMPD109, have you tested this for an extended amount of time? I understand what you are saying now, just have never tried it out. My impression was that the tank's water level would go below the level of the teeth in the internal basket. At that point, the siphon would continue to flow water from the internal to external basket, yet there would be no backfill of water. Eventually, the internal basket would be dry and the siphon would break. Now, when the power comes back on, there is no way for the siphon to start again, and the pump would return water to the main until there is an overflow. I am very curious to know if the water stays in the U tube, but I don't exactly see how it would.

tripper

I could not see a pic with the attached link but I agree with rlg2182. It uses a channel that runs the complete length of the setup. As long as both ends of the channel stay submerged you wont have any problem. If some air gets in you can do as rob stated and release the air. I would guess that if you checked it once a day and got any accumulatedair out you would not have any problems. Much better to be preventative than to clean up a large spill.

Tripper-
You are right, the internal basket will drop until the level in the two baskets are equal. That level should be at the hieght of the overflow tube leading to the sump. I have left my setup off for 30 minutes as I made alterations in my fuge. It has always started up with no problems. My only fear of flooding is if the overflow clogs and the display tank overfills. As I stated in the previous post try to check it regularly and hope there are no clogs (a sponge will help filter some items that can clog it)

Back
Top Bottom