Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Overflow rates (fluidics help please)

I have two 1.5" overflows on a Tenecor tank that feed down into my sump. The sump is not located directly under the tank, but in a room right behind the tank (about 2.5 feet away horizontally). I was told by someone at Tenecor that the 8X per hour rating that these overflows are rated at are based on the sump being directly under the overflows.

My question: How much slower will the overflows run since the overflows run not just down but horizontally as well???? I am hoping it is negligible.

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
I'm not qualified to answer your question quite but my sump is set up the same as yours with only 1 overflow....i figure that my flow rate has been decreased possibly 150 to 200 GPH. I hardly notice the change but I almost wish Id've went with a more powerful pump as an alternative to less powerful set-up.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

(about 2.5 feet away horizontally)
as long as you don't have any horizontal sections of overflow to sump drain pipe the measurements will be negligible.(At least in these terms)
The only thing that sholuld really choke the flow of an overflow is piping size(try to minimize fittings) , The length of the drain pipe(the longer the pipe is the slower water will flow[this will also be negligible unless you are trying to drain the water to the other side of the house]), and the route the drain takes. (eliminate horizontal sectionsif you can)

how long are the horizontal sections?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
(about 2.5 feet away horizontally)

how long are the horizontal sections?
Actually my horizontal runs about 4 feet on one of the overflows and about 2 feet on the other. I did a quick calculation by shutting off my returns pumps and calculating how fast the sump filled up. I am estimating only 2,040 gallons per hour which is only 4.5 turns per hour, much lower than the specs of 8 turns per hour. I may need to drill bigger returns (maybe go to 2") in order to get the turnover rate up where I want it.

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, flow rate, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com