overflow/sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am picking up a eshopps overflow box as well as there R-100 refugium/sump tomorrow. My question is what gph should i get, they have two sizes that i was looking at there is the 300gph and a 800gph. I posted a similar question recently but am not going to get a cpr as i can get the eshopps locally.

I have a 55 gallon mixed reef. My current equipment i have a reef octopus hob bh-1000, phosban 150, hob filter, and a jebao wp25 powerhead running on W1 S2 knob at about 50%. Also the return pump i ordered, Reef Octopus Diablo DC-3500, can push about 790 gph at a 4 foot head hight (at least based on there chart), but it comes with a controller so i can adjust it accordingly.

I believe in saltwater you want at least a 10x overturn, is this correct? So i guess is if i was to get the 800gph one would it be too much of a turn over? If this is too much could i actually push about 600-700gph out of this the 800 gph overflow?

Also i plan on keeping my hob skimmer until i can order the Reef Octopus Super Reef 1000-SS, would this be ok? My current skimmer is rated for up to 125 gallon and the eshopps R-100 holds about 20 gallons

You are going to need to match your pump with your overflow box, and 800 gph is more than you have, so I would get something smaller than that, but I think 300 gph is a bit weak. CPR makes a 600 gph box. I was always partial to the overflow boxes that utilize an aqualifter pump anyway.
The turnover depends on what's in the sump. If you have a skimmer with a 500 gph pump on it, I would want at least 500 gph going through the sump so it's at peak efficiency.

You are going to need to match your pump with your overflow box, and 800 gph is more than you have, so I would get something smaller than that, but I think 300 gph is a bit weak. CPR makes a 600 gph box. I was always partial to the overflow boxes that utilize an aqualifter pump anyway.
The turnover depends on what's in the sump. If you have a skimmer with a 500 gph pump on it, I would want at least 500 gph going through the sump so it's at peak efficiency.

Yea I orginally was going to get the cpr 600 anyways, so ill prob just go ahead and order that. The skimmer i was looking at says the pump has a range of 100 to 130 gph, so would the 600 gph be ok with that, or should i be trying to match the skimmers pump? I just liked the eshopps because it restarts after an outage and no extra pump needed, but i do imagine the cpr would restart as long as i have the aqualifter on it at all time. Also I am pretty sure i can dial in the dc-3500 with the controller to match the 600gph and if not there is ball valves.

Also i plan on having my skimmer (eventually), heater, gfo and carbon reactor, and a refugium in the sump. Just planning on having a sand bed about a inch or two with macro algae and possibly a few snails/hermits to tidy it up a little and stir sand bed, and possibly some live rock rubble

Last edited:
I second the opinion of getting a cpr overflow box. I used one for years on my 125g and it never failed once.

I second the opinion of getting a cpr overflow box. I used one for years on my 125g and it never failed once.

do you have the aqualifter pump on constantly? Do you have have the output line just go into your sump and is it a large amount of water it sucks out? Also when im setting up the return where should i put the check valve so i dont her a back siphon. Just about middle of the return piping?

You can have more than the skimmers' needs going through the sump, but less would impede it's performance. As for the other reactors and such, as long as they aren't requiring more than 600 gph, you are good to go.
One more thing- In my opinion, it's counter productive to have anything in the refugium that eats algae or pods. So, a nassarius snail might be ok, but no algae eaters. If you do add a nassarius snail to the refugium sand bed, make sure you put some meaty foods in there every so often, as they are carnivores, and tiny particulate matter won't support them.

do you have the aqualifter pump on constantly? Do you have have the output line just go into your sump and is it a large amount of water it sucks out? Also when im setting up the return where should i put the check valve so i dont her a back siphon. Just about middle of the return piping?
Yes, it's always on, and generally, folks just drop the tiny drain line into the large side of the overflow box. It's not a large amount of water, but it's enough that you need to keep it in the system.

Also when im setting up the return where should i put the check valve so i dont her a back siphon. Just about middle of the return piping?
Just drill a small hole in the return line just under the water surface inside the display and you won't need a check valve.

You can have more than the skimmers' needs going through the sump, but less would impede it's performance. As for the other reactors and such, as long as they aren't requiring more than 600 gph, you are good to go.
One more thing- In my opinion, it's counter productive to have anything in the refugium that eats algae or pods. So, a nassarius snail might be ok, but no algae eaters. If you do add a nassarius snail to the refugium sand bed, make sure you put some meaty foods in there every so often, as they are carnivores, and tiny particulate matter won't support them.

That makes sense, I mostly just want something to sir the sand bed..Could i just skip sand bed, add live rock rubble and let macro algae sit on top of the rock rubble? or is there benefit of a sand bed in a refugium?

Also thank you for all the advice so far its really helping...ive been planning this sump/refugium for about a year and half its way overdo and im finally just gonna do it, instead of putting it off, to many positives im missing out on!

You don't need a sand bed, but I think a lot of life ends up being in it if you have one. tiny critters make a home out of it.
You can also make a deep sand bed and get some nitrate reduction from it if done correctly.
Deep Sand Beds

I like the idea of DSB just have heard many stories of tank crashes because of nitrogen build up, If i was to do a DSB would you recommend nassarius snail to keep the sand stirred or would this be counter productive to the DSB?

Ok ill read it tonight and figure out what i decide what my plan is for the refugium, as i dont plan on actually adding the sump in for another week or two, gotta wait for some items.

Also if i use dry aragonite sand and dry rock rubble(once live rock that has been sitting out of water for months) i shouldnt see a mini cycle because theyre wouldnt be any die off, correct?

Back
Top Bottom