Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overflow U-tube

We are having a little trouble with the u tube on our overflow. We are having to suck air out of it like every couple of weeks now. i relly dont know where the air is coming from, but it builds up and restricts the flow and causes the water to raise in the tank. This isnt normal is it? how can we get it to stop doing this? Thanks

Old 06-23-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Carlosga
I think isnt normal, try with another u tube, or check your overflow box, inside the tank.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #3

I have never had this problem with mine, seems strange mabye try adjusting it..
Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Increase the waterflow. As waterfalls into the first box, air comes with it as it crashes into the standing water, these air bubbles are sucked up into the U tube. If the water is flowing to slowly, these airbubbles will collect in the apex of the U-tube, if the water is moving swiftly enough through it, they will be carried right on out into the second box

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reefrunner is correct, you need to increase the flow rate through that tube. Air bubbles are a natural thing. They either get washed through or they accumulate at the top of the siphon. Maybe a larger diametre hose connected to the box..?

Worst case scenario is that you could borrow and idea from CPR. They attach a air hose to the top of the siphon and connect it to the venturi of a powerhead. The venturi pulls any air out of the siphon and spits it out the powerhead. If the powerhead has enough suction, it can actually restart the siphon from dead empty. (which provides some good peace of mind)
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ah i didnt realize that would happen thanks for the advice
Old 06-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Worst case scenario is that you could borrow and idea from CPR. They attach a air hose to the top of the siphon and connect it to the venturi of a powerhead. The venturi pulls any air out of the siphon and spits it out the powerhead. If the powerhead has enough suction, it can actually restart the siphon from dead empty. (which provides some good peace of mind)
Good idea, if I ever use an overflow box I'll have to try that. Love my built ins, btw.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

bad idea imo !!! being to do it right with a u-tube you would have to drill a hole at the top and like the cpr boxes the issue becomes food/ect.. can and will clog the hole !! i have a pipe cleaner handy and about every month have to clean the hole !! the only answer is to increase you water flow into the tank like reefrunner stated and ya will never have that prob again
Old 06-25-2004, 01:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm a little confused on how to increase the water flow based on our set-up. Do i have to get a bigger pump or is there another way to do it? Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size/kind pump are ya using now?? ya could get lucky and only need a new impeller !!

Tags
flow, overflow, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com