Overflow U-tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
We are having a little trouble with the u tube on our overflow. We are having to suck air out of it like every couple of weeks now. i relly dont know where the air is coming from, but it builds up and restricts the flow and causes the water to raise in the tank. This isnt normal is it? how can we get it to stop doing this? Thanks

I have never had this problem with mine, seems strange mabye try adjusting it..

Increase the waterflow. As waterfalls into the first box, air comes with it as it crashes into the standing water, these air bubbles are sucked up into the U tube. If the water is flowing to slowly, these airbubbles will collect in the apex of the U-tube, if the water is moving swiftly enough through it, they will be carried right on out into the second box ;)

Reefrunner is correct, you need to increase the flow rate through that tube. Air bubbles are a natural thing. They either get washed through or they accumulate at the top of the siphon. Maybe a larger diametre hose connected to the box..?

Worst case scenario is that you could borrow and idea from CPR. They attach a air hose to the top of the siphon and connect it to the venturi of a powerhead. The venturi pulls any air out of the siphon and spits it out the powerhead. If the powerhead has enough suction, it can actually restart the siphon from dead empty. (which provides some good peace of mind)

Brad said:
Worst case scenario is that you could borrow and idea from CPR. They attach a air hose to the top of the siphon and connect it to the venturi of a powerhead. The venturi pulls any air out of the siphon and spits it out the powerhead. If the powerhead has enough suction, it can actually restart the siphon from dead empty. (which provides some good peace of mind)

Good idea, if I ever use an overflow box I'll have to try that. Love my built ins, btw.

bad idea imo !!! being to do it right with a u-tube you would have to drill a hole at the top and like the cpr boxes the issue becomes food/ect.. can and will clog the hole !! i have a pipe cleaner handy and about every month have to clean the hole !! the only answer is to increase you water flow into the tank like reefrunner stated and ya will never have that prob again:)

I'm a little confused on how to increase the water flow based on our set-up. Do i have to get a bigger pump or is there another way to do it? Thanks

Well, if you are not restricting flow from the pump in some way (ie; excess elbows in the plumbing, ball valve after the pump, etc...) you'll need a more powerful pump.

What pumps do you recommend that are in a decent price range?. We have a 25 gallon tank and the pump we have now turns it about 10 times an hr. Plus, we have a powerhead in it. So, if we get a bigger pump its going to be like a whirpool in there. The U-Tube we have is an inch. Is there any way that a smaller U-Tube will fix the problem? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom