Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overflow vs No Overflow

I reduced my tank footprint by selling my 75, however, I found this 65 gallon cube that is looking pretty, uhm, interesting and the place where the 75 was sitting is looking pretty empty. The 65 is already drilled, one corner overflow and ocmes with the sump set-up. I had read somewhere, however, that there is debate now about the overflow/sump system and whether this is actually the best way to work a reef system.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think anytime you can increase the total water volume of your system, its a good thing. Also the sump gives you a place to hide all the equipment so its not in the main tank taking up all the real estate there.. I just setup a 90 gal tank and have a 20L as my sump, been running great with minimal work in upkeep compared to my 75 gal I had about 6 yrs ago without a sump.. I used to spend 3 hrs a week maintaining its now down to about 20 mins.. Not sure if its because of the sump or not but its definitely not hurting...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Bioballs and other wet/dry have gone out of favor, but IME the sump is still the best option out there.

Natural reef setups usually use live rock as about 80% of the filtration, the rest coming from a skimmer and refugium (sump is the best place for both). This is the most basic, other equipment added if needed.

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to use a sump, or what kind of negatives they would cite.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Bioballs and other wet/dry have gone out of favor, but IME the sump is still the best option out there.

Natural reef setups usually use live rock as about 80% of the filtration, the rest coming from a skimmer and refugium (sump is the best place for both). This is the most basic, other equipment added if needed.

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to use a sump, or what kind of negatives they would cite.
The main reason I waited so long for a sump was that I was scared. I think alot of people think it's very complicated, as i did. I still don't have it all down yet but it was easier than I thought it was gonna be. Just a scary proposition I think.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

That is a good point, but separate from the effectiveness of a sump.

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com