Overflows and Plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riptide

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's the situation... Got the new 150 setup... Plumbing all done... Moved rock and stock from my 55gal reef to the 37gal QT tank... started my Macro colonies in the 55gal which will become the refuge for the new 150. Waiting on the fresh harvest of Keys Rock from Liverocks.com in mid-January to start the tank, but wanted to do a FW test run on the plumbing to ensure its integrity and function...

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Even with only a single built in overflow box I couldnt pass on a brand new 150 and Canopy/Stand for $400.... I am pumping in the neighborhood of 1600-1700gal/hr into the tank... It outflows just fine but the water level runs at the jagged upper edge of the overflow box... And without a standoff in the bulkhead fitting in the overflow I am running close to a foot of head in the box to keep up on the drain side... I am terrified a snail is gonna commit hairy carey into the overflow / plug the drain and here comes niagara Falls....

The only solution I can conceive is to construct a Stainless Steel Mesh Strainer to fit the top of the overflow to prevent such a catastrophe....

oh, also, you shouldn't have water 'waiting' to use the drain, it should go down as fast as it gets in there

sounds like you're pushing too many GPH for the drain to handle

you'll need a second overflow - check out the DIY section for a super-easy one built from pvc parts.

I agree. 1600-1700GPH thru a single overflow thats probably 1.25" or maybe 1.5" is very close to the limit.

If you do want a strainer(can cause more problems than the errent snail) dont use stainless steel use nylon mesh.

you could lower the flow thru the overflow to say 1200GPH and then install a close loop system to gain more flow in the tank.

justDIY said:
you need to build yourself a Durso standpipe to go in that open bulkhead

EUREEKA!!!!! The stand pipe in combination with a "DIY" bulkhead of larger ID should solve the issue entirely.... Thanks for all the input guys... I will construct the new drain system today and post the results...

Back
Top Bottom