OVERHEATING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KINGOFZED

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank has been up and running with rock and sand for 2 weeks now. I can't get the water temp down below 79. The heater is unplugged and the light isn'n doing it. i have an eheim pro2 filter seaclone protein skimmer and 1 powerhead the temp in my house is 70-72. HELP

Have you checked the temp with another thermometer? Is the tank in direct sunlight during the day? Does your ProII have a built in heater?

79 is right where a lot people keep their tanks. Mine is 82-84. Is there some reason why you want it cooler than 79?

I just bought a heater because mine was at 72-73.

What is the minimum temp or should i just focus on keeping a nice stable temperature.

what kind of fish do you keep.. 79'F is perfect for cichlids..
it's when it gets above 87'F you need to worry..
and below 71'F
for us aussies thats 22'C lowest 31'C highest and 79'F is around 26'C
(thanks for the calculator AA)
as long as the temp isn't fluctuating drastically, it'll be fine.
IMO the higher the temp, the better chance of fighting disease.

i just didnt get why it is 9 degree's over room temp I was hoping to keep it around 75 after looking at the optimal temps for some of the fish i'd like to get (79 is in that range though) it is out of the sun and i havn't been keeping the light on for more than 4 hours

Some of the heat could be coming from your mechanics in the tank. PH's, protien skimmer, etc.

Like Fluff said, the things inside your tank can be raising the temperature. I have 4 powerheads, a pump for the protein skimmer and a HOB filter in my tank. They keep the temp pretty high.

My pumps and lights (PC) keep the water at around 86 as a running temperature. I put a chiller inline to keep my temps a steady 81.

i just realised this is in saltwater, sorry bout my reply, must have overlooked the titles...but good intentions were there anyway..

What do you have in your tank? 85 seems really high. I seem to lose sps every summer (along with other corals failing to thrive) and the only thing I can think of is the temp elevation...sometimes reaching 86. So I've caved and just ordered a chiller.

Mfrei64, i have lots of SPS in my tank, they are thriving well! I put a window AC in my living room today to help keep the tank cool. Now it doesn't seem to get over 82.

Since i started paying attention to my temp i've noticed a lot of people's tanks stay pretty warm.

i come home the other day from work and my tank was 90 and i about flipped so i shut the heater of and put a little fan behind it it took 5 hours to bring it down to about 82 and thats where mine stayes at around 80-82. it turned out that my heater went goofy on me but nothing died which was a good thing. sorry to inturupt very one but i thought i would share it

Back
Top Bottom