overnight I got algae in my tank. (pic) recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like some brown algae, possible precursor to cyano... how long is your light cycle?

How large is your cleanup crew?

I have looked through the threads at pics of cyano and also google but looks nothing like this.
Schoeplein I hope you are wrong. I have held off on a cleanup crew but will go ahead with it if I need to. I currently only have hitch hikers in the tank. Light cycle is around 7 hrs a day moonlights are always on.

Re: overnight I got algae in my tank. (pic) recommendations

Brenden said:
looks like little branches sticking out of the sand.
If you've already added the LR, it's most like a species of (similar to) spaghetti worms. They inhabit the sandbed quite frequently.

Algaes will not commonly "occur" that quickly unless you've had some drastic change in nutrient or (loss of) bacterial levels. Even then, it generally takes a few days or so.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve-s Is there anything I should do? or should I just wait it out. Do I need to check for anything? If it is worms it is a ton of them. Rock has been in tank for a week. If it is worms why did they come out all of a sudden?

At this point in your tanks age/developement I wouldn't give it a second thought. The growing pains of a newly established tank are part and parcel of the hobby.

Monitor the three nitrogens, pH, alk, salinity and temp for now. The rest is somewhat out of your control. Let nature take it's course and your tank develope as it should.

Cheers
Steve

Does anyone else think this is worms and not cyano? Is there anyway I can check to make sure it is not cyano?

Well, cyano reacts to light will normally recede at night. It may even be diatoms. I think you just need to give it some time.

Is there anyway I can check to make sure it is not cyano?
If it is slimy and grows in sheets it's cyano. I agree w/ Steve-S, I would not worry about much at this point. I'm not sure about the things sticking out of the sand I can't get a good look at them, but they are not something associated w/ cyano bacteria IMO/IME and are most likely a type of worm as steve said. The brown discoloration on the sand is probably diatoms which should go away as the tank matures. HTH

Is this a new tank set up????? I thought your 500++ was up and running for a while?
If its new like the others are saying could be diatoms and nothing to worry about. Give it some time to work its way out of the system.

Cyno when it first starts out somethimes is just a dusting and it does not look bad but over time it will grow into the large mats of crap on the sand bed.

Have you tested you water for PO4 and Nitrates?

"The brown discoloration on the sand is probably diatoms which should go away as the tank matures."

That pretty much sums it up.

Back
Top Bottom